Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ram upgrade queries

My question being is my current mac has 4gb of ram and i am looking to upgrade in a hope that this will slightly improve performance. I have no major issues with my mac and have been very happy with it since purchase from new. However recently it has slowed a little and when running football manager 2013 for example the game action runs extremely slowly to the pouint where on occassion it is virtually unplayable. I also from time to time am experiencing the rainboiw wheel more and more

I am considering one of two upgrade options. Upgrade to 16gb and if i do so is this better to do so with 2 x 8gb or 4 x 4gb or does it make no difference what the slot configuration is?

Second option is to upgrade to 12gb with the two existing 2gb remaining and add two x 4gb

I am considering the upgrades with crucial which seem reputable and decent quality from reviews. Price is not really an issue as the max is around ÂŁ60 or so with crucial it appears

Would be interested in experiences and comments on the above please

Thanking all in advance of any replies

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2010), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 6:59 PM

I have 12gb in my iMac using the original 2gb sticks and adding two 4gb sticks from Crucial. I've watched activity monitor and have never seen page outs with this configuration. I don't play games but I suspect that you'd be completely satisfied with 12gb.

9 replies

Dec 28, 2012 10:34 AM in response to SeaPapp

To be honest it is absolutely fine and i can now go onwards and upwards with my promotion campaign in the coming months!!!!

Im happy i did the upgrade and there appears to be no issues whatsoever. Happy days

I will never go back to a windows system i would rather not go online at all than spend days on end fixing issues my imac has been my best purchase in recent years and im converted

Ram upgrade queries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.