Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

80GB iPod Classic stuck in recovery mode, tried EVERYTHING

Hello, i'm Michael, and i need some help right now :c

i just got an iPod Classic with 80GB of HDD, just a gift, but it had some "issues" (the screen showed a dock connector and it reads "Use iTunes to Restore"), i had an iPod Touch 4G, and i had that restored several times, so i knew the trick.

Okay i came from my grandmother's house and plugged my new fancy iPod! (it came with no USB cable so i bought a cheap one) but when i plugged the iPod had not enough power to remain connected, so i though (maybe the usb cable is not powerfull enough to mantain the charge cicle, it's a 2$ one, so it's big deal) plugged my iPod to my speakers on the Dock station, and leave it there for the entire night

The next morning i plugged my super charged iPod to my Windows 7 PC, and it got detected YAAY!, iTunes asked me to download the software to restore, so i let it do just that, waited for the 56mb ipsw file to download, and after that the restore process begun. At 57 seconds of the process (i timed it) the PC turned OFF (not big deal, my processor is not the best processor ever, and my PC usually turns off after a small overdrive)

Well, the iPod restarted and it was at the "Use iTunes to Restore" screen again. So i tought (Well, let's try my sis laptop) connected my iPod to the Windows 8 Laptop from my sister, and the iTunes download (iTunes + iPod ipsw) took a lot of time to me.. But when it comes to the Restore Process, after the same amount of time, i got the "1439" error, and after looking foward throught a lot of web pages, i came out with the "Windows 8 is the one of the problem :L" so i plugged my iPod out and leave it charging in my speakers, at the next day, i was in my Grandmother's house again..

So i came out with my uncle and told him to lend me his Lap, a Windows 7 64X Core i5 Extreme with VT (super machine i loved it *¬*) and plugged my iPod in, i tried to Restore with his iTunes version (11 one) and guess what? 1439 error! it looked like the USB cable was the problem one, but i didn't gave up, and installed Virtual Box with Widnwos XP (i rode some guy had it working with a restaration with XP, and makes sense, since Windows 7/8 can't format large drives with FAT32, and XP sure can) so i plugged my iPod and installed Guest additions and the Expansion pack (for USB 2.0 support) installed the last iTunes version and tried to restore, and guess what? 1434!

So, i tried something different, i tried to format the iPod with Windows Explorer, and guess what? it worked! NTSF system was loaded ad working, i dragged some 134mb files to it, and they could be readen every time i wanted. But there's a problem, iPod software is not NTSF but FAT32, so i downloaded EaseUS partition manager and formated it to Fat32, 128kb cluster size, and unplugged it to plug the speakers again (YES, I TOOK THEM TO MY GRANDMOTHER'S) after the battery's top capacity was acomplished, i tried the restore form XP again, and after a few tries, i got a succefull restore!

The iTunes screen showed "your iPod is going to restart, please leave it connected, and it will be recognized after the reboot" (or something like that Cx) i was really happy i could get my iPod to work, but when the Apple logo appeared with the progress bar, it filled like 84%, and the screen became white, it showed the same "do not disconnect" regular screen, and iTunes told "iTunes has detect and iPod in Recovery Mode, please restore it to be used with iTunes"

So, i tried a LOT of methods from Apple Discussion, formating in Disk Mode, Restoring in Disk Mode, regular mode, DFU mode (only downloads a 1.4mb file and says "preparing the ipod" after 34 seconds and an uncomplete bar it closes ._.) restoring with XP, 7, 8, rebooting the iPod (select + menu, 6 secs) DFU mode (menu + select 12 secs) disk mode (play + select, 6 secs in apple icon) and a lot of hard work.. nothing worked.

So i tought.. (maybe the iPod's HDD is broken or something) opened Diagnostics and this are the results:
Retracts :432
Reallocs: 319
Pending sectors: 0
Poweron Hours: 560
Start /Stop: 426
Temp status are not important right now, current 23, max 43c, min 15c

it's obviously an used iPod. But the Reallocs count is not THAT big

Okay so i tried something different and asked my friend's iPad cable, this one connected pretty well with Windows 8 and it did restore with no problems at all. but there's one little small issue.. it didn't work either...

So, i'm here, out of ideas, i can imagine a restore with OS X will change my point of view in some way, but i can't do that right now...
i Must add that the HD is completely functional, i can add files to it right now, and use them in another PC, i can format it, partition it, and a lot of crazy things, so the HDD is not the problem one..

Please help me.. i have EVER SEEN a iPod's menu, other than my DSi iPod themed homebrew music player.. (wich looks fantastic)

Thank's in advance, i'm sorry for the lenght of my note, i have been thinking on it for a long time hehe c:

iPod classic, Windows 7, Have tried almost every fix

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:41 PM

There are no replies.

80GB iPod Classic stuck in recovery mode, tried EVERYTHING

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.