Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't move files in the trash anymore. Seems I've lost my trash can.

Suddently, I can't move files into the trash. Anytime I select "move to trash". It will only propose me to delete the file permanently. Althoug the trash still appears on my dock, it does not appear anymore in the finder under my favorites or any other menu. Seems to have completely disappear from the computer. I'm on OS 10.7.4

Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:53 PM

7 replies

Dec 27, 2012 10:29 AM in response to FranckSch

Is this the solution you tried?...

Perform the following steps in the order specified:

1.If the affected account is protected by FileVault, log in to the affected account, then switch to and log in to your Admin account via Fast User Switching. Otherwise, log in to your Admin account.
2.Open Terminal, located in the Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities folder.

At the Terminal prompt, type one of the following commands:

If the affected account is:Then type the Terminal command:
Your Admin account:sudo rm -ri ~/.Trash
Another user account:sudo rm -ri /Users/user_name/.Trash

where user_name is the short name of the affected account.

Note that:

• There is a single space after each of the terms sudo, rm, and -ri in the command.
  • Assure you have typed the command exactly as specified before proceeding: typographical errors in this command can have dire consequences, including erasing your hard drive!
4.Press Return.
5.Type your Admin password when prompted, then press Return.
6.Type y for yes in response to the subsequent prompts to delete each file in the trash and finally the affected .Trash folder itself. The prompts are finished when the Terminal prompt returns.
7.If the affected account is your Admin account, log out. If the affected account was another user account that is logged in via Fast User Switching, log out of that account.
8.Log in to the affected account. It will now have a new, working, and empty Trash.

Steps 1-6 remove all files in the affected account's Trash as well as deleting the hidden and invisible ~/.Trash directory for that account. The remaining steps result in recreating the affected account's Trash, with proper ownership and permissions.

I can't move files in the trash anymore. Seems I've lost my trash can.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.