Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture forgets it license and asks me for the serial number over and over again

Hi,

This is getting ridiculous to the point where I'm thinking of just ditching Aperture. It's continually forgetting is license and asking me for the serial number over and over again. I have the original serial number and an upgrade number when I upgraded to v3, but right now, it's not accepting either of them. What's going on and how do I fix it permanently?

Thanks,

Rob

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:08 AM

Rob, have you upgraded to Aperture 3.4.3? This is supposed to have fixed the serial number problem:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1610

About Aperture 3.4.3

Addresses an issue that could cause a licensed copy of Aperture to prompt for a serial number with each launch

Be sure to enter the serial number, when you are logged in from an account with Administrator priveleges - otherwise can it not be stored.

Aperture is installed for all users on your mac, so the serial number is written to the system library, not the user library, and this requires read/write access for administrators. Do you enter your serial number using an administrator account?

When did this start? Have you migrated your system from from another mac? Then you still may have an older ProAppSystemID file or Aperture cannot write to the System Library.

To stop Aperture asking for the serial number, first check, if you still have an old file "ProAppSystemID" in your System Library.

Quit Aperture.

Go to your MacintoshHD and open the folder "Library", then "Application Support", then "ProApps".

Remove the File "ProAppsSystemID" to the Desktop, if it exist and restart Aperture.

Reenter your serial number, hopefully for the last time.

Sometimes Aperture writes this file to a temporary directory, when it cannot write to the Library. If the above does not work, look at the temporary directory /tmp

Use the Finder's "Go" menu

Go > Got to folder and enter /tmp into the textfield. If you see the file there, move it to its proper location.

In this case you may want to repair the permissions on your system drive; you can do this using the "First Aid" tools in "Disk Utility" (located in Applications > Utilities)

Regards

Léonie

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2012 12:08 AM in response to caspersgrin

Rob, have you upgraded to Aperture 3.4.3? This is supposed to have fixed the serial number problem:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1610

About Aperture 3.4.3

Addresses an issue that could cause a licensed copy of Aperture to prompt for a serial number with each launch

Be sure to enter the serial number, when you are logged in from an account with Administrator priveleges - otherwise can it not be stored.

Aperture is installed for all users on your mac, so the serial number is written to the system library, not the user library, and this requires read/write access for administrators. Do you enter your serial number using an administrator account?

When did this start? Have you migrated your system from from another mac? Then you still may have an older ProAppSystemID file or Aperture cannot write to the System Library.

To stop Aperture asking for the serial number, first check, if you still have an old file "ProAppSystemID" in your System Library.

Quit Aperture.

Go to your MacintoshHD and open the folder "Library", then "Application Support", then "ProApps".

Remove the File "ProAppsSystemID" to the Desktop, if it exist and restart Aperture.

Reenter your serial number, hopefully for the last time.

Sometimes Aperture writes this file to a temporary directory, when it cannot write to the Library. If the above does not work, look at the temporary directory /tmp

Use the Finder's "Go" menu

Go > Got to folder and enter /tmp into the textfield. If you see the file there, move it to its proper location.

In this case you may want to repair the permissions on your system drive; you can do this using the "First Aid" tools in "Disk Utility" (located in Applications > Utilities)

Regards

Léonie

Aperture forgets it license and asks me for the serial number over and over again

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.