3 Replies Latest reply: Apr 16, 2013 8:21 PM by KJGriffin
caspersgrin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Hi,

This is getting ridiculous to the point where I'm thinking of just ditching Aperture.  It's continually forgetting is license and asking me for the serial number over and over again.  I have the original serial number and an upgrade number when I upgraded to v3, but right now, it's not  accepting either of them. What's going on and how do I fix it permanently?

Thanks,

Rob

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • léonie Level 9 Level 9 (64,155 points)

Rob, have you upgraded to Aperture 3.4.3? This is supposed to have fixed the serial number problem:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1610

About Aperture 3.4.3

Addresses an issue that could cause a licensed copy of Aperture to prompt for a serial number with each launch

Be sure to enter the serial number, when you are logged in from an account with Administrator priveleges - otherwise can it not be stored.

Aperture is installed for all users on your mac, so the serial number is written to the system library, not the user library, and this requires read/write access for administrators. Do you enter your serial number using an administrator account?

When did this start? Have you migrated your system from from another mac? Then you still may have an older ProAppSystemID file  or Aperture cannot write to the System Library.

To stop Aperture asking for the serial number, first check, if you still have an old file "ProAppSystemID" in your System Library.

Quit Aperture.

Go to your MacintoshHD and open the folder "Library", then "Application Support", then "ProApps".

Remove the File "ProAppsSystemID" to the Desktop, if it exist and restart Aperture.

Reenter your serial number, hopefully for the last time.

Sometimes Aperture writes this file to a temporary directory, when it cannot write to the Library. If the above does not work, look at the temporary directory /tmp

Use the Finder's "Go" menu

Go > Got to folder    and  enter /tmp into the textfield. If you see the file there, move it to its proper location.

In this case you may want to repair the permissions on your system drive; you can do this using the "First Aid" tools in "Disk Utility" (located in Applications > Utilities)

Regards

Léonie

• caspersgrin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)

Léonie,

Thanks for the quick respose.  I am running 3.4.3, but I did not find "ProAppSystemID" in the system library.  It was, rather, in /tmp with a date stamp corresponding to when I last re-entered the license last night, so I moved it (as root user) to the system library.  So far so good, let's see if it stays fixed.

~ Rob

• KJGriffin Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

I've been having the same problem since last December, and it persisted with v3.4.4.  Moving the ProAppSystemID from /temp to the propper spot did the trick.  Brilliant!