Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't System Preferences save my desktop background folders?

If I try to add folders to the sidebar in the System Preferences > Desktop panel, only the last-viewed folder will stay when you close and reopen the panel. Here's what it looks like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qy01PS0aT0

Macbook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.6.2)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:13 AM

Back up all data.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership and access-control lists to the default. If you've set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it.

Step 1

If you have more than one user account, and the one in question is not an administrator account, then temporarily promote it to administrator status in the Users & Groups preference pane. You can demote it back to standard status when this step has been completed.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo chflags -R nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR.. ; sudo chown -R $UID:20 ~ $_ ; chmod -R -N ~ $_ 2> /dev/null

Be sure to select the whole line by triple-clicking anywhere in it. You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. You don't need to post the warning. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command.

The command will take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2

Boot into Recovery by holding down the key combination command-R at startup. Release the keys when you see a gray screen with a spinning dial.

When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select Utilities Terminal from the menu bar. A text window opens.

In the Terminal window, type this:

resetpassword

That's one word with no spaces. Then press return. A Reset Password window opens. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your boot volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select  Restart from the menu bar.

35 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2012 12:13 AM in response to morsalmarzur215

Back up all data.

This procedure will unlock all your user files (not system files) and reset their ownership and access-control lists to the default. If you've set special values for those attributes on any of your files, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it.

Step 1

If you have more than one user account, and the one in question is not an administrator account, then temporarily promote it to administrator status in the Users & Groups preference pane. You can demote it back to standard status when this step has been completed.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Drag or copy — do not type — the following line into the Terminal window, then press return:

sudo chflags -R nouchg,nouappnd ~ $TMPDIR.. ; sudo chown -R $UID:20 ~ $_ ; chmod -R -N ~ $_ 2> /dev/null

Be sure to select the whole line by triple-clicking anywhere in it. You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. You may get a one-time warning not to screw up. You don't need to post the warning. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command.

The command will take a noticeable amount of time to run. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign (“$”) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2

Boot into Recovery by holding down the key combination command-R at startup. Release the keys when you see a gray screen with a spinning dial.

When the OS X Utilities screen appears, select Utilities Terminal from the menu bar. A text window opens.

In the Terminal window, type this:

resetpassword

That's one word with no spaces. Then press return. A Reset Password window opens. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your boot volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select  Restart from the menu bar.

Dec 27, 2012 12:32 AM in response to morsalmarzur215

This setting is held in the desktop preferences file, which if corrupt will not save settings; however, you can remove it and have the system build a fresh one.

To do this, go to the Finder and select the "Go" menu. Then press the Option key to reveal your user library, and choose the library. Then go to the Preferences folder within the library and locate the file called "com.apple.desktop.plist." Move this file to the Desktop or otherwise out of the Preferences folder, and then log out and log back in. Your desktop backgrounds will be reset to default images, but you should then be able to make your modificaitons and have them stick.

Dec 27, 2012 2:57 PM in response to morsalmarzur215

When adding a folder to the selection pane I get this in the Console:

12/27/12 5:41:02.606 PM Dock[255]: DesktopPicture: sent notification for space and display 0x0 that does not exist

It also looks like the com.apple.desktop.plist file is getting edited successfully each time but some of the data looks like it's old (I had two spaces, removed one but the old space's information is still there even after I delete the file and it gets generated again.)

I've tried removing both com.apple.systempreferences.plist and com.apple.desktop.plist to let them come back on their own and it hasn't helped.

More background, this is a fresh install I did this past weekend after getting an SSD for my Macbook. I downloaded the Mountain Lion installer from the App Store and used the Lion Diskmaker App to put it on USB. It seemed to move to the USB OK except at the end when it was doing some scripting and I moved the mouse around, and it looked like it couldn't copy over the icon for the USB stick. Is there any way to validate that the OS X install I have on this machine isn't corrupted?

Dec 27, 2012 2:56 PM in response to Topher Kessler

Here are the logs from me opening system preferences > desktop, adding two folders, choosing the first, closing, and reopening:

12/27/12 5:54:54.971 PM System Preferences[428]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

12/27/12 5:54:54.972 PM System Preferences[428]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

12/27/12 5:55:00.422 PM System Preferences[428]: selectedFile: /Users/hoffkm/Pictures/Backgrounds

12/27/12 5:55:00.424 PM Dock[255]: DesktopPicture: sent notification for space and display 0x0 that does not exist

12/27/12 5:55:04.922 PM System Preferences[428]: selectedFile: /Users/hoffkm/Pictures/Backgrounds/HPBG

12/27/12 5:55:04.923 PM Dock[255]: DesktopPicture: sent notification for space and display 0x0 that does not exist

12/27/12 5:55:14.548 PM System Preferences[432]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

12/27/12 5:55:14.549 PM System Preferences[432]: *** WARNING: -[NSImage compositeToPoint:fromRect:operation:] is deprecated in MacOSX 10.8 and later. Please use -[NSImage drawAtPoint:fromRect:operation:fraction:] instead.

12/27/12 5:55:16.160 PM System Preferences[432]: Could not restore selection, adding *missing* selected folder (/Users/hoffkm/Pictures/Backgrounds)

12/27/12 5:55:16.162 PM Dock[255]: DesktopPicture: sent notification for space and display 0x0 that does not exist

The "Could not restore selection" line's path is the path to whatever I last selected in the sidebar before closing - I verified that.

Dec 27, 2012 3:00 PM in response to morsalmarzur215

Odd...the console indicates an error with the Dock process' handling of the desktop picture, though I'm not sure if this is related to the issue at hand. You can try clearing the Dock's preferences file to see if that helps the problem. Go to the Finder's "Go" menu, hold the Option key and then select the Library from this menu. Then go to the Preferences folder and move the file called "com.apple.dock.plist" to the desktop. Then log out and log back in to see if the problem persists. If it does, then you can restore the prior Dock setup by placing the file back in the Preferences folder (replacing the newer one) and then logging out and back in.

Dec 27, 2012 3:21 PM in response to morsalmarzur215

Odd...the console errors are also happening on my system; however, the problem of the folders not sticking is not occurring. Here are my console entries:

12/27/12 3:19:00.823 PM Dock[262]: DesktopPicture: sent notification for space and display 0x0 that does not exist

12/27/12 3:19:00.847 PM System Preferences[88693]: Could not restore selection, using default folder

...happens when I both add or remove folders from the Desktop pictures list, but any added folders persist. So it is likely not related to these entries. Hmm...

Dec 27, 2012 4:22 PM in response to Topher Kessler

Removing com.apple.dock.plist did not help and to my knowledge I haven't plugged in any other displays since I installed a clean copy of Mountain Lion to a new SSD. The only application installed that would have anything to do with the screen (that I can think of) is Microsoft's Remote Desktop but I had that on my old instance and didn't have this problem.

Why won't System Preferences save my desktop background folders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.