Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can an iPad have malware that gets passed to a computer?

I did something we are all warned not to. I was using the iPad to check email, had an email from someone I didn't know, I stupidly clicked on a link and it took me to some Russian site. Anyway I suspect it was a site that would have installed malware had I not been on the iPad. This happened few weeks ago and the iPad has been fine. I am told an iPad can't get a virus or malware. I am a little worried that next time I backup the iPad with the computer that my computer might get infected.

Is this at all possible? The iPad almost being a Typhoid Mary and the computer getting infected?

iPad 2

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 11:29 PM

No worries. There are no reports of this ever happening of which I am aware, it is unlikely enough never to worry about.

5 replies

Dec 27, 2012 2:37 PM in response to heatherfrombroadbeach

heatherfrombroadbeach wrote:

I am told an iPad can't get a virus or malware. I am a little worried that next time I backup the iPad with the computer that my computer might get infected.

Is this at all possible?

Anything is possible, but the fact that the iPad cannot run Java or Flash or other potential vectors for malware intrusion, and that every app it runs is downloaded from Apple, as well as other iOS features that protect itself from modification, makes it extremely unlikely it can be corrupted by malware.

If you have a Windows PC it requires its own malware protection. It can intrude from a number of sources but the iPad should be the least of your concerns.

Can an iPad have malware that gets passed to a computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.