Skip navigation

Update amavisd-new on 10.6.8

703 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 5, 2013 8:36 AM by Peter Borbonus RSS
Michael Ojaste Level 3 Level 3 (530 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 26, 2012 10:38 PM

Hi All,

I am planning to migrate to 10.6.8 server from 10.4.11. I have read a few issues with amavisd and would like to address them before users start driving me nuts. My understanding is that amavisd 2.6.2 or 2.6.4 is installed under OSXS 10.6.8. I have the directions "Updating_amavisd_new_on_OS_X_Server_10_5_Leopard" it says "or Greater" and the referance to the amavisd is amavisd-new-2.6.4.tar.gz. There are 3 stable releaces higher then that at http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/

1. amavisd-new-2.8.0.tar.gz.
  2. amavisd-new-2.7.2.tar.gz.
  3. amavisd-new-2.6.6.tar.gz.

So can I use those update directions for anyone of the 3 options or will it only work with 2.6.6 which I assume is fine with the version of PERL called for.

Hopefully pterobyte is out there since I know you have the answers I need, lol.

Thanks Mike

PS why so few updates at http://osx.topicdesk.com/ for things like this on like 10.6 server and up?

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz intel 2006, Mac OS X (10.4.11), ATTO SCSI320 2CH, Highpoint 2322 SATA 2 RAID
  • pterobyte Level 6 Level 6 (10,910 points)
    Dec 27, 2012 5:18 AM (in response to Michael Ojaste)

Hi Michael,

if you have customised and updated your 10.4.x server, I would strongly recommend you do a clear 10.6.x installation and then migrate your data over. Doing a straight updated will leave you hunting gremlins for months to come. Or you might go the extra mile and migrate to 10.8.x while at it.

That said, amavisd 2.8.0 will work fine on 10.6. You can pretty much follow the 10.5 tutorial, but when installing the perl modules, check first which ones already exist rather than installing all the ones listed for 10.5. Same goes for SpamAssassin.

HTH,

Alex

P.S. Check the site at the end of January for plenty of updates for 10.8.

Jan 3, 2013 1:51 AM (in response to Michael Ojaste)

You are most welcome, Michael.

You think 10.8.x is ready for primetime? I keep reading about issues with various aspects of the server including email and file services which are the 2 main things I do.

All my servers run 10.8.x. Hope this answers the question.

I find 10.8 to be very stable if set up from scratch and if one takes the time to understand the changes compared to earlier versions.

HTH,

Alex

• Peter Borbonus Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)
    Jan 5, 2013 12:43 AM (in response to pterobyte)

pterobyte wrote:

I find 10.8 to be very stable if set up from scratch and if one takes the time to understand the changes compared to earlier versions.

HTH,

Alex

Hi Alex!

Did you import your OD-Database from previous serverversion after setting up in 10.8?

This would be too much work otherwise, I guess.... :-)

Greetings,

Peter.

Jan 5, 2013 8:10 AM (in response to Peter Borbonus)

Hi Peter,

yes, I did export and import user accounts. In essence all migrations I have done for myself or third parties involved a clean 10.8 installation, followed by the migration of all needed data. Be it user accounts, mailboxes, websites, etc...

While certainly more work and cumbersome than simply upgrading, one gets a clean system taking full advantage of 10.8 without any gremlins being dragged along. All upgrades I have seen had some kind of issue. Many minor, but many serious issues as well.

HTH,

Alex

• Peter Borbonus Level 1 Level 1 (95 points)
    Jan 5, 2013 8:36 AM (in response to pterobyte)

Hi Alex,

I thank you for the info!

Nice to read, that's possible the OD-Datebase without problems...

Enjoy the new year, ;-)

Peter.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.