Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update amavisd-new on 10.6.8

Hi All,

I am planning to migrate to 10.6.8 server from 10.4.11. I have read a few issues with amavisd and would like to address them before users start driving me nuts. My understanding is that amavisd 2.6.2 or 2.6.4 is installed under OSXS 10.6.8. I have the directions "Updating_amavisd_new_on_OS_X_Server_10_5_Leopard" it says "or Greater" and the referance to the amavisd is amavisd-new-2.6.4.tar.gz. There are 3 stable releaces higher then that at http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/

1. amavisd-new-2.8.0.tar.gz.
  2. amavisd-new-2.7.2.tar.gz.
  3. amavisd-new-2.6.6.tar.gz.

So can I use those update directions for anyone of the 3 options or will it only work with 2.6.6 which I assume is fine with the version of PERL called for.

Hopefully pterobyte is out there since I know you have the answers I need, lol.

Thanks Mike

PS why so few updates at http://osx.topicdesk.com/ for things like this on like 10.6 server and up?

Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz intel 2006, Mac OS X (10.4.11), ATTO SCSI320 2CH, Highpoint 2322 SATA 2 RAID

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 10:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:18 AM

Hi Michael,

if you have customised and updated your 10.4.x server, I would strongly recommend you do a clear 10.6.x installation and then migrate your data over. Doing a straight updated will leave you hunting gremlins for months to come. Or you might go the extra mile and migrate to 10.8.x while at it.

That said, amavisd 2.8.0 will work fine on 10.6. You can pretty much follow the 10.5 tutorial, but when installing the perl modules, check first which ones already exist rather than installing all the ones listed for 10.5. Same goes for SpamAssassin.

HTH,

Alex

P.S. Check the site at the end of January for plenty of updates for 10.8.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2012 5:18 AM in response to Michael Ojaste

Hi Michael,

if you have customised and updated your 10.4.x server, I would strongly recommend you do a clear 10.6.x installation and then migrate your data over. Doing a straight updated will leave you hunting gremlins for months to come. Or you might go the extra mile and migrate to 10.8.x while at it.

That said, amavisd 2.8.0 will work fine on 10.6. You can pretty much follow the 10.5 tutorial, but when installing the perl modules, check first which ones already exist rather than installing all the ones listed for 10.5. Same goes for SpamAssassin.

HTH,

Alex

P.S. Check the site at the end of January for plenty of updates for 10.8.

Jan 2, 2013 7:28 PM in response to pterobyte

Hi Alex,

Thanks again, I know I can always count on you for sound advise when it comes to my mail server. I was planning on a clean install and then migrate.

You think 10.8.x is ready for primetime? I keep reading about issues with various aspects of the server including email and file services which are the 2 main things I do.

It may be moot since the current hardware is a MacPro 1,1 which is just before the "Mac Pro early 2008" requirement for 10.8. It's a Mac Pro 2 x 2.66Ghz intel 2006.

Thank you again,

Mike

Jan 3, 2013 1:51 AM in response to Michael Ojaste

You are most welcome, Michael.

You think 10.8.x is ready for primetime? I keep reading about issues with various aspects of the server including email and file services which are the 2 main things I do.

All my servers run 10.8.x. Hope this answers the question. 🙂

I find 10.8 to be very stable if set up from scratch and if one takes the time to understand the changes compared to earlier versions.

HTH,

Alex

Jan 5, 2013 8:10 AM in response to Peter Borbonus

Hi Peter,

yes, I did export and import user accounts. In essence all migrations I have done for myself or third parties involved a clean 10.8 installation, followed by the migration of all needed data. Be it user accounts, mailboxes, websites, etc...

While certainly more work and cumbersome than simply upgrading, one gets a clean system taking full advantage of 10.8 without any gremlins being dragged along. All upgrades I have seen had some kind of issue. Many minor, but many serious issues as well.

HTH,

Alex

Update amavisd-new on 10.6.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.