Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using 12w and 5w chargers with iphone and ipad

Will my 12w charger hurt my iphone 4 or 5? Or, will my 5w charger hurt my iPad 3? Or can I use them interchangabley?

iPhone 5

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:42 AM

There are a lot of threads about this. You can interchange them as you like, BUT:

The iPad will (practically) not charge on the USB slot of a Mac, and also not on the 5W charger of an iPhone: it will take VERY long; it will charge best on the 10W iPad charger.

The Iphone can charge on 5W charger, USB port, and on the 10W iPad charger, difference is the time it takes to charge.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2012 7:42 AM in response to cplett

There are a lot of threads about this. You can interchange them as you like, BUT:

The iPad will (practically) not charge on the USB slot of a Mac, and also not on the 5W charger of an iPhone: it will take VERY long; it will charge best on the 10W iPad charger.

The Iphone can charge on 5W charger, USB port, and on the 10W iPad charger, difference is the time it takes to charge.

Dec 27, 2012 7:45 AM in response to cplett

You can use the 12W charger to charge your iPhone with no issues. however the 5W charger from the iPhone will not charge your iPad as it does not provide enough power to charge it. It won't hurt the iPad it just won't charge it. It may keep it at its current charge or very very slowly charge it when its off, but its really not designed to charge an iPad.

So basically the 12W charger works for any iDevice, the 5W chargers are limited to low power consumption devices.

You can see the compatibilities of each charger in the Apple store pages for each:

5W charger

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD810LL/A/apple-5w-usb-power-adapter

12W charger

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD836LL/A/apple-12w-usb-power-adapter?fnode=74

May 10, 2016 5:53 AM in response to cplett

TThe 5w will work but will take a few hours from 5-10% to a 90-100% and 12w on iPhone will work, but will make your phone hit from charging so fast. So far it's safe to me because how little I run anything on it with least brightness, so that's up to you if you still plan to use it. I only charge iPad 5w when it's night or when I'm about to leave them come back.

Using 12w and 5w chargers with iphone and ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.