Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion 10.7.5 constant crashing right before shut down?

I have about had it with the Mac store, so I am going to try my luck here.

I bought a Mac Pro (just the tower) about 8 months ago, and since then I have had the problem of getting the "grey" screen/crash right when it's about to shut down (when the screen goes white). I ignored it for a while, until two weeks ago it finally died and I lost everything. Sent it to the Mac store. They said they would put in a new logicboard and hard drive. Got it back. They lied to me and just reinstalled Mountain Lion (even though I had Lion before). Next day, it did it again after shutting down. Everything lost. Go back to the store. They finally do what they told me they would do in the beginning, and put in a new hard drive. Going back to work today, and as I am closing out, it crashes again! This time I did not lose my files when restarting, but I am pretty sure I will after a few reboots.

Has any one experienced the same problem, and could shed some light on how to fix this? The only extra programs I have installed are Photoshop CS6 Design Standard and Office Mac 2011.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 8:02 AM

4 replies

Dec 27, 2012 1:57 PM in response to a brody

Yep the RAM was the problem, but the problem was not the Mac. The problem was Photoshop CS6. Thanks for your help! I would have never looked at the RAM, if you didn't suggest it.

In case anyone encounters the same problem...

For whatever reason, it's latest version has a memory leak and keeps eating away at the RAM when in use. Even when idle, it would slowly eat away at the free RAM. Turning the program off, and putting it's usage to about 45% helps (must manual do in Photoshop's Preferences). However, this does not solve the problem entirely. Activity Monitor has to be left open, so one can keep an eye on how much RAM is left during it's usage. It's best to restart the program when the Active is over half the pie chart. It's surprising that Adobe has not fixed this for months...

Lion 10.7.5 constant crashing right before shut down?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.