Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Match keeps crashing

I signed up for iTunes Match and now my iTunes crashes every time match tries to sync. I updated iTunes, ran the diagnostics, etc. No luck. There is no error code or anything. It just says that iTunes has encountered an error and needs to shut down.

Windows 7

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 12:12 PM

1 reply

Dec 27, 2012 7:18 PM in response to dustyadixon

So, after a call to tech support I received this email from them...While I have issues with deleting ANY of my music, I did most of what is in these instructions and my itunes match and itunes does work now without crashing. I also received an itunes match notice saying that my library is completly uploaded and available on the cloud. So, if you are having trouble since purchasing itunes match try this:

Your support Advisor, Dominic, has a follow-up message for you:

For Windows users (and even some Mac users) that are still having problems with iTunes Match completing, here are a few of things to try...

Sign in as Administrator.

Virus Protection - Turn off any virus protection programs. (They can often interrupt connections, uploads, downloads, etc.)

If at all possible use an Ethernet connection from your computer to your network, not WiFi. The stability is far better as is the speed.

If you have to upgrade using WiFi avoid network interference from wireless phones (both cell and in-home), metal barriers, other wi-fi signals, microwaves, etc. Place your computer as close to the wireless modem/router as possible.

Reboot your modem/router; disconnect the power, wait a few minutes for the cache to clear and plug it back in. Wait a few more minutes for all network connections to be established.

If you're comfortable checking your modem's settings, look at your firewall settings and ensure that the ports iTunes uses, TCP ports 123 and 3689 as well as UDP ports 123 and 5353 are open and accessible. A majority of folks won't need to go this far, but for some users that may have tweaked their settings, this may be the issue.

Two things seem to stall the iTunes Match process, problematic songs/albums and server timeouts.

If iTunes Match is hanging, find out what the actual status is of the songs that haven't been uploaded. You can check the status of any song by adding a column to iTunes. Open iTunes and in song list mode click on "View" in the toolbar. Click on "View Options". Check iCloud Status (you can also check iCloud Download to see the song's availability later).

I ended up deleting about 40 obscure songs that came from custom made and ripped CD's, etc. They were in the "Waiting" state and nothing I could do would get iTunes Match to budge. (I still had the CD's anyway.) Once I removed them it finished instantly.

Ensuring that you have the best connection and speed your network can offer, without being interrupted by virus checks, etc. can often resolve things as well.

Hope this helps!

iTunes Match keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.