Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook wifi slow after a few minutes

Ok, here the issue: I have a 2008 Macbook running OS 10.8.2 and recently my WiFi has been getting extremely slow. I am connected to a Time Capsule base station and other computers, iMac, iPads, etc seem to work fine.

Here's the scenario: This has just started recently but I can't say if it is tied to a recent OSX update. WiFi will work fine for 5 minutes and then slow down to a crawl. If I try to run a speed test the page will not even fully load. If I then connected to the Time Capsule via ethernet cable the speed is normal (50MB). Once I disconnect the ethernet and allow it to connect on WiFi again it will work great for 5 minutes or so and then slow down again.

I have tried: turning on and turning off the WiFi - no luck.

Updated the firmware for the Time Capsule - no luck.

Computer has no outstanding software updates.

Set the MTU on the router to Manual and 1453 (suggestion from another board) - no luck.

Put it into sleep mode and back on - no luck.

Reboot - will work for a minute then drop out again.

Reset the SMC - just did it...waiting to see if this works.

The only clear and reliable solution is to connect the ethernet for a minute then go back to WiFi....strange but this works.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:03 PM

2 replies

Jan 23, 2013 5:52 AM in response to live4hills

i've been having this same problem, also on a 2008 macbook for the last couple of weeks now, so it started around the same time as yours. i was convinced it was my internet connection, and had my provider come out a couple of times to check. then i discovered that other computers connected to my wifi had normal speeds - it is only my macbook that is slower than dialup. i've tried pretty much all the things you have, and nothing works consistently - though occasionally i can get back to normal speed, but only for a few minutes at a time. what can this be? dying airport card in the 2008 macbooks?

Jan 23, 2013 1:49 PM in response to live4hills

ive never had that issue, my internet always has been faster then anyothers on their pc our home, mind you wifi sometimes doesn't work on my mac, but i blame that on its age, and how ive treated the laptop.

i wouldn't know why its doing that, i mean i get slow internet sometimes, but when i get it slow so do all others on the same internet. i guess its like everything out there, there is always a lemon even with the best of products.

sorry to hwar about that

Macbook wifi slow after a few minutes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.