Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

movie and video burning on the macs

Hi. My daughter has an older 2008 MacBook 13" white. In perfect shape, running perfectly on Snow Leopard. IF we upgrade to Mountain Lion, will the iLife 08 with the iDVD still be there? There is no iDVD with all newer mac systems. No iDVD with iLife 11. She loves that program despite the mac literate communities complaints with iDVD.

If NOT, then how does she burn videos from her iPhone to DVD and make home movies from the laptop? What alternatives for NOVICE video creators are there on mac format? iMovie let's you make a movie, but it is then "stuck" in the computer without iDVD...is that correct? We do NOT use Facebook, HATE its ads, lack of security/privacy and too many "friends", and therefore will not be uploading the movies... so how do we get them onto a disc playable in a DVD player or computer drive for grandparents, and other out of state family members?

Thank you!

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:08 PM

The iLife applications (iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iDVD, and iWeb) are not part of the operating system, so when you upgrade the operating system, it does not upgrade these applications.

Check the version of iDVD that is currently installed.

iDVD version 7.1.2 is the last version of iDVD. It will work on 10.7. It will also work on 10.8, however apple will tell you that they can't guarentee it will work flawlessly, or as you update the OS.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 27, 2012 5:08 PM in response to supernatural forces at work

The iLife applications (iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iDVD, and iWeb) are not part of the operating system, so when you upgrade the operating system, it does not upgrade these applications.

Check the version of iDVD that is currently installed.

iDVD version 7.1.2 is the last version of iDVD. It will work on 10.7. It will also work on 10.8, however apple will tell you that they can't guarentee it will work flawlessly, or as you update the OS.

Dec 27, 2012 5:17 PM in response to karenfromniagara falls

Thank you, that information is very helpful. Here is my issue. I have NO idea what version of iDVD it is because when I open iDVD I get the menu screen and if I go to the top bar and click on iDVD I can see the About iDVD tab, but it is in light gray and NOT clickable. Any other way to figure that out that you know of?

Dec 27, 2012 5:21 PM in response to karenfromniagara falls

Let me add this... the check for updates is also not clickable. Since this program is no longer supported, would it be safe to assume that running on Mac OS X 10.6.8, the version of iDVD is version 7.1.2 or is would it be that that version would only be available if we were running Mac OS X 10.7.x.x?

Dec 27, 2012 5:27 PM in response to supernatural forces at work

Go to the applications folder, and "right click" or "control click" on the iDVD application, then select "get info". The long skinny window that opens, will display the verison of iDVD.

Also, if the computer came with iLife 09, then the version would be 7.1.2. If it came with iLife 08, the version would be 6.0.4

Dec 27, 2012 5:57 PM in response to supernatural forces at work

I can report that iDVD 7.1.2 work well with Mountain Lion; it does occasionally throw a fit when I want to throw out the default menu song and replace it with my own, but it eventually works. I recently did a clean install and started with iLife 08 (for a particular reason: I need iMovie 08 in order to install my iMovie HD 06 .dmg supplied by Apple). I tried both iMovie and iDVD and neither worked until after I installed iLife 09. So, I assume that iLife 08 will not work with Mountain Lion.

I maintain a bootable partition with Snow Leopard so I can use a couple of older apps; I would also keep that if iDVD would be no longer be working in a future OS update - I would simply shift my video work to the Snow Leopard partition for two reasons: I prefere using the old iMovie HD 06 because it was the only version that worked losslessly (no loss of quality of video) and because there is no reasonable consumer priced alternative to iDVD.

You can try Burn (free, I believe), but it does nothing but burn. there is also Roxio Toast (which I have and use as well); it offers a few menus, but no options to customize them - it is an excellent application though. There are others - free or not - you'd have to do some research to see if you like what they have.

movie and video burning on the macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.