Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage: two conversations, same contact - HELP

hey guys, I have a little problem with iMessage, hope someone can help. My friend has an iMessage on his iPhone, as do I.

However, when we send each other a sms or iMessage they go into two seperate conversations, one from his phone (sms) and one from his email (imessages). Any ideas why this isn't one merged conversation?

Any help or advice would seriously be appreciated I'm so desperate at this point!

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 1:55 AM

check:

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive

14 replies

Dec 28, 2012 2:45 AM in response to Sylar2011

In:

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive

you can tell it to start new conversations with your phone number as the return address.

Mskse sure

Settings > Messages > Send as SMS

is ON

When you send to a phone number it will use iMessage if the receiver has an iPhone and a data link is available. Otherwise it will use SMS. The message color is blue for iMessage, green for SMS.

Dec 28, 2012 3:33 AM in response to Sylar2011

Mine begins like that, then has:

Start new conversation from:

my-phone-number

my-email

When you select one it puts a chec mark next to it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I turned off iMessage, then turned it back on. The settings screen then looks just like yours.

After a few messages back and forth to my Mac using the Messages app on the Mac, and using my phone number and email, the extra part returned in the Settings screen. Don't know why.

Maybe someone else has some idea about what's going on.

Jan 6, 2013 10:05 AM in response to Sylar2011

I have been having the exact same problem as you - two threads from the same person.

I have followed this thread and like you, I did not have the "Send as SMS" option as mentioned above.

But... also as mentioned above, I did turn off iMessage (right at the top of "Messages" in Settings). I did that twice, because the first time nothing changed. The second time, I left it off for about one minute, then when I turned it back on it said "waiting for activating" and then I had the "Send as SMS" option.

I hope this helps, I really do a lot of work for my business on my iPhone and back up my messages with this nifty little tool called Decipher TextMessage, but the person whose conversations show up in two different threads only has one of the threads backed up in Decipher TextMessage.

I also have yet to contact her, as I just discovered all this, but I still have her email address come up first when I address a new iMessage to her.

iMessage: two conversations, same contact - HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.