Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot scan!

I have had my macbook pro for about 4 years now and I am running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) and I have had my Lexmark P4350 for about the same amount of time. I have installed all the drivers and updates that apple report to me and I have been happily printing and scanning for a good couple of years.

I have not tried to scan somethings in a while but when I do, I place the document on the scanner, select scan and click the scan button and automatically image capture opens on my mac. This is all fine until i click scan on image capture and i get this message;

SCANNER REPORTED AN ERROR

The selected scan area is too large. Try selecting a smaller scan area, reducing the scan resolution or reducing the depth of scan.

I have never had this problem up until now, and I have no idea how to select a smaller scan area, and also when i try and click on show details on image capture it just freezes and I have to force quit!!

Can anyone please help me to get up and scaning again!

Lexmark P4350-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 2:46 AM

4 replies

Dec 31, 2012 2:40 AM in response to Josh2207

Hi Josh2207,

I have experienced exactly the same issue with scanning on my Lexmark P4350.

I have MBP and MBA - both with Mountain Lion 10.8 and tried almost everything to fix it. Re-installing drivers, manually deleting and installing different versions of TWAIN and ICA scanning drivers. No luck.

So it is not 10.6 issue

I can only assume that the new Lexmark drivers messed up the scanning.

I tried to use Image Capture and Print&Scan app for scanning.

When I used Print&Scan - I got the same error message but then I could see some scan settings to set up. One of them is DPI and there is no way to change it - it is just blank. I assume that this may cause the issue.

I also made a mistake and close 'show details' window in Scanning in Print&Scan app on my MBP and there is no way to get it back now and see what is going on. When I press PREVIEW - the scanning process just consumes my all available RAM and hangs the system.

Only one solution left I can think about is to delete manually the drivers and install some old version. If it does not help, I think I will look for another printer/scanner. And hopefully it will work (as there are plenty threads on Apple forums about not working scanners ;/ )

Best

I cannot scan!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.