Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting 'my song' items

In the media browser in Garageband, how can I delete the multiple 'my song' attempts that accumulate there?

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 3:36 AM

14 replies

Dec 28, 2012 4:29 AM in response to gaginker

Media Browser?

are you asking about GarageBand on your Mac?

The "My Song.band" items are all GarageBand projects, packages on your disk that you created earlier, and if you want to remove them, use the Finder. By default this projects are stored in your Home Folder:

Your Home Folder > Music > GarageBand

Open this folder in the Finder and simply drag the projects to the Trash. I'd close the Media Browser before trashing items.

If you do not store your GarageBand Projects in the default folder, open the folder you are using for your projects, or search for them with Spotlight: Simply click onto the looking glass in the upper right corner of the screen and type ".band" into the Spotlight searchfield.

This will show you a drop down list of recent projects. Click the "Show all in Finder" option.

Regards

Léonie

Dec 28, 2012 6:06 AM in response to gaginker

Nick,

have you tried to log off and on after trashing those files?

The folder I am talking about is here (in column view in Finder):

Sorry, I cannot upload images right now: 😠 I always get the error message "Jive temporarily unavailable"

Have you looked in the folder "Music" inside your Home folder? There is the folder "GarageBand", and there are by default the music projects stored.

Dec 28, 2012 10:08 AM in response to léonie

GarageBand for iPad has kind of a Media Browser.

It is embedded in the Loop Browser (the ribbon icon) which even displays with a notification batch how many new files are available since the last time you opened it.

The window can have three tabs:

• Apple Loops: Any available loops
  • Audio Files: Any files that are available through the iTunes File Transfer procedure (no files no tab)
  • Music: Any audio file synced via your iTunes library to your iPad (not synced, no tab)

User uploaded file

Edgar Rothermich

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Dec 28, 2012 11:48 AM in response to EdgarRothermich

Thanks, Edgar, and also Leonie, for your advice.

As it happens, my 6-year-old MacBook gave up the ghost this morning. It may have been in its death throes when Iwas having all those problems.

Just back from the Apple store, where I picked up a new MacBook Pro. Right now it's getting its dates, and then I'll take my photos and music off the desktop computer and install them . Are there any precautions one should take before installing them?

Thank you both so much for your kindness. I may well have more questions about GarageBand when I fire it up on the new machine.

Happy New Year, guys

Nick

Dec 28, 2012 11:59 AM in response to gaginker

Nick, how are you migrating from the old machine to the new one?

The safest way is to use Magratian Assistant directly when you first activate the new computer. There is a difference in transferring, between connecting your old computer directly after starting the new computer and setting it up, or launching migration assistant later. If you launch Migration assistant later, it might skip the istallation of the Instruments library (Migration doesn't copy Instrument Library), for example, or you will not be able use the previous tiime machine backup for your new machine.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 17, 2013 2:38 AM in response to léonie

Still having extraordinary difficulty is deleting song files. Wonder why it is so complicated to get rid of these files?

My Finder options don't include 'Music'.....

Also, is there a quick way to return to the opening screen of Garageband? At present I'm closing the app and restarting it, which can't be right.

Thanks, Leonie....

Jan 17, 2013 4:27 AM in response to gaginker

My Finder options don't include 'Music'.....

Use the Preferences panel of the Finder to enable the Music folder to be shown in the Sidebar. Also you should be able to see the Music folder, when you open your "Home" folder in icon view.

User uploaded file

Also, is there a quick way to return to the opening screen of Garageband? At present I'm closing the app and restarting it, which can't be right.

Use the command "File > New" from GarageBand's main menu bar to get back to the start screen.

Still having extraordinary difficulty is deleting song files. Wonder why it is so complicated to get rid of these files?

Difficulties in what way? To find the song files you want to delete, or deleting them after you found them? 😕

Jan 17, 2013 10:30 AM in response to léonie

Once again many thanks Leonie. Part of my problem is an inability to even find the 'Home' folder. Will search more diligently.

It's those 'my song' icons followed by a number that are so persistent. Seems that each time you open an instrument icon, just for demo purposes, it's saved as a 'song'.

But your latest input will surely help. Thanks for your patience.

Nick

Jan 17, 2013 11:27 AM in response to gaginker

Nick,

Part of my problem is an inability to even find the 'Home' folder.

Your Home folder is marked by the "house" icon in the Finder's sidebar or if you view a folder in a Finder window in icon mode, like this: The name of the home folder is the same as your account name.

User uploaded file

A second way to access it, is the Finder's main menu bar, from the "go" menu or simply the keyboard shortcut Shift-command-H (⇧⌘H) will open the Home folder.

User uploaded file

To navigate to the GarageBand folder:

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

Deleting 'my song' items

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.