Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i fix my iphone 5 broken power button

I struggle to put my iPhone 5 to sleep with the power button. It seems that I have to press it real hard to get it to respond. Any suggestions? Is there an app that I could use in lieu of the power button?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 8:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:26 AM

Virtual Lock Button, tap Settings App > General > Accessibility > Assistive Touch > ON > tap new small white screen button > Device > Lock. This can even be used to turn iPhone OFF. To turn ON connect iPhone to power ie charger or USB port of computer. Since iPhone 5 has full Warranty make arrangements and take to Apple for resolution.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 28, 2012 10:26 AM in response to vienna1791

Virtual Lock Button, tap Settings App > General > Accessibility > Assistive Touch > ON > tap new small white screen button > Device > Lock. This can even be used to turn iPhone OFF. To turn ON connect iPhone to power ie charger or USB port of computer. Since iPhone 5 has full Warranty make arrangements and take to Apple for resolution.

Dec 29, 2012 6:18 AM in response to pukoh

pukoh wrote:

seems stupid that we need a software button to do something we have a physical button for.

You think with all their money apple could afford to test their software before releasing it.

Seems stupid that a user would be whining about an issue on a "new" device that is fully covered under warranty instead of taking it to the manufacturer for evaluation and possible replacement.

I'm going to take a wild guess that you also cannot be bothered to try basic troubleshooting from the User's Guide which is reset, restart, restore (first from backup then as new).

Dec 29, 2012 6:36 AM in response to diesel vdub

I know your message was intended for pukoh, but I live 300 miles away from the nearest Apple store and the only way for me to get a repair for any issue is to mail my device off to Apple - NOT GONNA HAPPEN! I bought the device online from apple.com. There are no Apple authorized repair shops in my area - I checked. I depend heavily on my device and cannot be weeks without it for a simple button issue. Your condesending attitude reveals that you can't think past your own situation. If I had immediate access to an Apple store I would take it in, but I don't. So, I have to settle for a "accessibility" fix for now.

Dec 29, 2012 10:37 AM in response to diesel vdub

The drive is about 4 1/2 hours - that's 9 hours round trip. For a button issue? That's silly! And they will not provide a replacement device. I spoke with an Apple care rep. So, about $280.00 in gas plus other expenditures including my time or live with the accessibility fix? Hmmm. I could always pay the $100.00 deductible for my insurance - but why? I'd love a fully functional device. But you would expect that when I'm paying hundreds for a quality device in the first place that Apple would make their devices a little more durable - I just bought the cell. Im not about to pay more in time, effort and money than I already have. It's a bad suggestion when you do the math!

How do i fix my iphone 5 broken power button

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.