Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

eMac start up issues

I'm sure this topic has come up before, so forgive me. My problem seems to be that our eMac is becoming harder & harder to start. When I go power it up from off, either I get just a dead screen & the sound of the fan or a series of beebs and staticy clicks & the power light flashes, again with a dead screen and the fan. The problem seems to be getting progessively worse, before after a few tries, it will power up & run perfectly. But now it seems to be getting harder to power it up. We did upgrade to a new iMac this year, but I still love my old eMac and am not quite ready to say goodbye (mainly because it I still have programs on it I use & haven't been able to afford to upgrade yet). Is it the end of the line for it or is there something that can be dine within a reasonable cost? Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

Dave Dobesh

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 9:12 AM

3 replies

Dec 28, 2012 10:41 AM in response to David Dobesh

Hi Dave, no worry about asking even if it's been answered before here... still nearly impossible to find anything you're looking for on any Apple site. 🙂

Have you blown the dust out lately, especially the bootom RAM access door?

Can you count the beeps or flashes?

1 beep = no RAM installed

2 beeps = incompatible RAM types

3 beeps = no good banks

4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)

5 beeps = processor is not usable

In addition to the beeps, on some computers the power LED will flash a corresponding number of times plus one. The LED will repeat the sequence after approximately a 5-second pause. The tones are only played once.

Note: In this case, a flash is considered to be 1/4 second or 250 ms or greater in length.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1547

eMac start up issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.