Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please advise what I may try to keep the router secure and successfully connect I-PAD to the network. Thank you in advance - Robin

iPad

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 9:33 AM

8 replies

Dec 28, 2012 9:46 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Our i-pad3 does not connect to our LINKSYS WRT54G (firmware version v200.8) router with the password that currently works with our e-mac. I have tried changing from router chennel 6 to channel 1, but no change. I have also powered down and restared the router. When I disable the security, the I-PAD will connect successfully. The router is set to WEP 128 bit. The password is 13 characters long which I believe I had to use with 128 bit. Please advise what I may do to keep the router secure and successfully connect the I-PAD to the network

Dec 28, 2012 9:55 AM in response to Robin149

Robin149 wrote:

... The router is set to WEP 128 bit. ... Please advise what I may do to keep the router secure

Your WRT54G is capable of WPA encryption. I am reasonably certain your eMac is as well, as long as it is running Mac OS X 10.4.11 with all applicable Software Updates.

There is probably a way to make your iPad work with WEP but WEP is considered so non-secure as to be worthless. You might as well disable its security altogether.

Consult Linksys's documentation to determine how to change its wireless security. This is performed through a web browser on a computer. Here is Cisco's support site for that router: http://homesupport.cisco.com/en-us/support/routers/WRT54G

Once you change the router to WPA then you will need to change the passwords for all your wireless equipment.

Dec 28, 2012 10:37 AM in response to Robin149

Robin149 wrote:

... Are you saying "try using WPA because WEP is not recommended (or will not work with) I-pad?

Yes, WEP is easily broken, 128 bit notwithstanding.

Read:

iOS: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

Note: Due to serious security weaknesses, the WEP and WPA TKIP encryption methods are deprecated and strongly discouraged.

Also:

iPad: Issues connecting to Wi-Fi networks

Some Wi-Fi routers using WEP wireless security may cause intermittent disconnects to iPad which requires re-typing a password. Using WPA or WPA2 wireless security on your network will correct this issue.

It takes a hacker about ten seconds to break WEP encryption.

Therefore, to answer your question:

Please advise what I may try to keep the router secure and successfully connect I-PAD to the network

... use WPA.

Please advise what I may try to keep the router secure and successfully connect I-PAD to the network. Thank you in advance - Robin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.