Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resizable subtitles

I use iSubtitle to encode "soft" subtitles to iTunes movies. iSubtitle gives options to select text size but that somehow doesn't change anything on Apple TV. Is there any way I could make them bigger? They are really hard to read because of the small size.

AppleTV 2, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:14 AM

2 replies

Jan 11, 2013 12:00 AM in response to Analooog

I also used iSubtitle to add soft subtitles to a movie. I had edited the subtitles using Jubler to ensure the layout was exactly what I wanted. I exported the movie with the soft subtitles to iTunes.

When played back in iTunes, some of the longer subtitles, which I set up in Jubler as two lines, and which showed in iSubtitle as two lines, would display as 3 or 4 lines. In the case of 4 lines, the 2nd and 4th lines each only had one word. And as set up in Jubler the line break was after this word.

So:

The quick brown fox jumped over

the lazy dog one day late in summer.

displayed thus:

The quick brown fox jumped

over

the lazy dog one day late in

summer.

So I tried playing the file in my iTunes library not with iTunes but with VLC.

VLC allows you to set the font, size and colour of the subtitles. Not surprisingly the 2 lines of subtitles that displayed as 4 lines when played back in iTunes played back as 2 lines in VLC.

I also tried the same file in Quicktime. It displayed the 2 lines of subtitles as 4 lines. So I can only assume that the issue is with Qucktime.

Robert.

Jan 11, 2013 5:46 PM in response to phase52010

One possible solution, at least until Apple fix this issue, is to use VLC to watch your films with subtitles, displayed as you want them displayed, and then to use AIRPARROT to link playnack to your Apple TV.

I have tested this and it does work.

You can select just VLC in Airparrot and have it play fullscreen on your tv via Apple TV.

It works pretty well.

(And Airparrot isn't to expensive).

Resizable subtitles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.