Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Certain PDFs do not spool

The printer in question is a Kyocera 3050ci and the environment is a mixed Windows XP-7 / Mac 10.6-10.8

Printing this particular pdf from every version of Windows spools in seconds and prints out no problem.

In EVERY Mac case this PDF never completely spools - it stops at about 25% (printing 1 page out of 4 anywhere between 5-20 minutes).

I am able to reproduce this using another Kyocera on a different network. The Macs have no problems printing other large pdfs (50 pages of a service manual spooled in seconds).

This document prints out just fine using a Canon or Samsung.

The drivers installed are the latest ones from the Kyocera website. I have used generic drivers and open source drivers without success.

The problem persists regardless of wether I am printing from Preview or Adobe Reader/Pro, and regardless of what settings I have chosen (for example selecting "print as image" or setting the color reproduction to allow the printer to determine colors)

The source of the pdf is from an external company which emails the file, so I have no knowledge or say in how the pdf itself is made.

A temporary workaround I have found is to export the pdf using Preview to a TIFF file and printing that document, however I would like to know what the issue could be.

I am fairly certain that the issue lies within this particular pdf and its interaction between the driver and the Mac OS. But what is so special about this 4-page file (2.24mb)? Why only Kyocera? Why only Mac?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:26 AM

There are no replies.

Certain PDFs do not spool

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.