Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

in Pages: How to change text direction in cell?

in Pages, I'd like to change the direction of the text in a table I'm creating.

In the first column (one long column -- I've merged the cells) the work is reading left to right. How do I make it read up and down?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 1:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 1:20 PM

Put the text in a Textbox and rotate that 90°.

Peter

6 replies

Dec 28, 2012 1:40 PM in response to CarlyOkie

Hi Carly,

As Peter notes, iWork tables don't support text rotation as a format option. It's often easier to just place a Text Box adjacent to the table, and Text Boxes can be rotated any way you like. Merging cells is an iWork table is a booby trap that can catch you later if you decide to add or delete rows or sort the rows - it won't work. We've found that merging is just not worth the hassle except in rare instances, especially considering the other ways of annotating your work.

Jerry

Dec 28, 2012 1:55 PM in response to CarlyOkie

Here's what I found:

• Insert a text box from the INSERT menu.... it's also available at the FORMAT menu, but I chose Insert.
  • Don't drag yet!
  • place cursor and type your text.
  • Then, click on the METRICS menu in the Inspector pane
  • Rotate. Getting exactly to 90 degrees was difficult. Maybe because I called it 90% at first!
  • Now you can drag.
  • It might look better to spread out the letter spacing in the text you have entered. Do that from the "text" tab in the Inspector pane.
  • if you double click, or even click too much, the text box will jump back into a horizontal position -- Dont' worry, it's trying to let you edit.
  • just go back to "Metric" and change it back to 90 degrees.
  • Thanks Barry for answering this 3 years ago, and getting me started!

in Pages: How to change text direction in cell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.