Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G5 guts in a G4 MDD case?

I have a G4 MDD (have always loved the case design) and would like to buy some old G5 tower guts to put inside it. I was looking around and can get a G5 dual core 2.3 processor with logic board pretty cheap. Will this hardware fit inside the G4 case with room to spare for the other components that will be needed?

I understand this may sound stupid but it's a project I'd really like to try if the sizes are compatible.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 1:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 5:39 AM

Nope. You would be very hard pressed to fit the G5 components into the G4 case.

There are a myriad of issues that would need be addressed, but two of the more problematic are the heat sinks and the power supply. One would need to think "out of the box" so to speak....

Beyond that, the G4 case is really poor for air flow, which would exacerbate the PPC processor cooling issues.

Put a G4 into a G5 case. The cooling can be much improved and a quieter G4 can be had.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2012 5:39 AM in response to PowerPC_Fan

Nope. You would be very hard pressed to fit the G5 components into the G4 case.

There are a myriad of issues that would need be addressed, but two of the more problematic are the heat sinks and the power supply. One would need to think "out of the box" so to speak....

Beyond that, the G4 case is really poor for air flow, which would exacerbate the PPC processor cooling issues.

Put a G4 into a G5 case. The cooling can be much improved and a quieter G4 can be had.

G5 guts in a G4 MDD case?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.