Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can a strange text message cause my email to send out spam a day later? There was a link in the message but it was not clicked and text was deleted right away.

I received a strange text message on my Verizon phone about how to make money from home. It had a link in it. The link was not hit or followed and the text was deleted right away. The next morning most of the contacts in my phone received a spam email from my gmail account with a link in it. The link took them to a website about making money from home, so the two instances must be related. I only check my email on my phone and do not have it hooked up anywhere else. I thought apple kept everything separate so things like this could not happen. Should I be worried about a virus on my phone or that it was hacked? Also the phone has never been jail broken and no new apps were downloaded in the last month.

iPhone 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 6:45 PM

The timing does make one think the two things are related, but it may not be so. I've spent hours debugging problems thinking they were related to coincidental occurances, when they were not, so do not make assumptions. If you are concerned, take the phone to an apple store to have it checked out.

1 reply

How can a strange text message cause my email to send out spam a day later? There was a link in the message but it was not clicked and text was deleted right away.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.