Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video took on iPhone 5 is choppy and poor quality after sync

Dear Apple Support Community,

Video that I take with my iPhone5 running the newest iOS runs crappy on my mac. I sync my phone and upload all my pics and video to iPhoto and the video's picture is choppy and the frames skip, however the sound is unaffected. I tried opening them in QuickTime and the same thing happens. The video plays back on my phone with no problems. Most of these videos are of my children and I really want them on my computer! Thanks in advance guys/gals!!

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 4:11 PM

7 replies

Jul 13, 2013 3:48 AM in response to PhunkJunkie7

Did you ever figure out how to fix this? I have the same problem. I don't want to delete videos from the phone until I can do so safely. Someone in another forum mentioned getting videos to work with ProCamera, but I don't see why they won't work with iPhoto. Someone else said it might be an older computer without sufficient processing power, but I don't buy that, since other HD videos play fine.

Jul 13, 2013 6:49 PM in response to James Quigley

James,

I have heard the same thing about processing power, but the answer was vague and no one has told me anything definitive yet. However, I a cant afford to buy a new iMac, as much as I dearly want a new one, but I did upload my pics and vids to my mother in laws iMac (almost two years old running Lion) and they worked just fine. Why does this happen?!?!?!? I don't know. I thought maybe the OSX only allows iPhoto a certain amount of processor power, but I opened them in QuickTime and they produced the same choppy effect. Probably some bit of code they sneak into iOS to make one have to buy a new iMac/MacBook. I wish, for the both of us, I had a better answer. Anywho, good luck and Godspeed in all your endeavors.

Tony

Apr 27, 2014 11:35 AM in response to PhunkJunkie7

This happens to me, except I'm on a PC and (obviously) not using iPhoto. The problem is related to Quicktime, because Windows Media Player plays the videos with no framerate loss (except WMP doesn't know the orientation information, so videos play upsidedown, etc.). I'm wondering if there's a different codec that you can download for QT that will allow it to play the videos properly. Or, if there's a codec for WMP that will correct the orientation confusion. WMP is faster than QT, so maybe I'll look into that first.

This is for videos taken on the front-facing camera on my iPhone 5 exported to my PC and viewed with Quicktime.

Jul 11, 2014 7:09 AM in response to PhunkJunkie7

I have the same issue on a PC and have searched for months for a resolution. Can't seem to get a simple answer. Video's play in HD on the iphone 5 but when the files are transferred to my PC they play in a lower resolution and are choppy. I've tried them in Quicktime as well as Windows Media Player and I have the same problem with all of them. Can you give us some help here Apple??

Video took on iPhone 5 is choppy and poor quality after sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.