Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Event Browser - Display Playhead Info iMovie 11?

Hello all, I've spent a great deal of time trying to get the playhead info to display in the event browser. It is important for this to work as I want to make a compilation video from 4 or 5 different feeds and have to sync the video to the recorded sound. I've tried the suggestions in previous topics such as renaming the file to the following format clip-2007-04-01 12;23;03.mov. This suggestion does not work for me and the playhead displays the date created not the information in the file name.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is this even possible? This is driving me crazy.

iMovie '11

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 4:10 PM

8 replies

Dec 29, 2012 4:45 AM in response to goohst8

Syntax is important. Check that the word clip is not capitalized. Check for no extra spaces. Only one space between the date and the time.

Also, can you post a screen shot of the QuickTime INspector for this clip. Open the clip in QuickTime Player and click command-i to get the inspector window, and then command-shift-4 to get a screenshot. Drag your cursor to cover the inspector window.

Dec 29, 2012 7:59 AM in response to AppleMan1958

I renamed two test files and changed two minor things on both. I previously had the time of the files named 00;00;00.mov so I could easily where I was in the video. Anyway, I deleted the other folders/files and reopened iMovie. After doing this, the playhead hh:mm:ss:frames does still not display, but the time component does count up as I skim through the video. One interesting thing to note is that iMovie shows the time as 12:00:xx, even though the file has it as 00.

I've included a screen grab showing what I see in iMovie and the quicktime inspector. Even though this will work for me I'm still curious as to why the full playhead info won't show.

Thanks for your help.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 29, 2012 9:09 AM in response to goohst8

I am stumped. It looks like you are doing everything right. But it sounds like everything is working except the time is off by 12 hours. If you skim to a clip shot on a different day, the date would change. Otherwise only the time changes.

Here is a copy of one of my names that works.

clip-1958-11-04 12;00;00.mov

Here is a screen shot.

User uploaded file

My only other thought is to consider the country you are in.

In the US that should work. If you have a different national language support on your Mac, the separator punctuation may be different.

Dec 29, 2012 10:01 AM in response to AppleMan1958

AppleMan1958 wrote:

I am stumped.…

My only other thought is to consider the country you are in.

In the US that should work. …

5¢ from Europe here:

a) I would NEVER consider to fumble a data-base app (=iMovie) by re-naming any content outside the app. iMovie offers an 'Adjust Clips Date & Time'-feature …

User uploaded file

b) the problem occurs with 00:00 (just learned the phrase 'dark zero' 😉 )

from my European perspective - is this a 12 either? or, when is12am, resp. 12pm? and in computer/Unix logic: what (or when?) is the difference btw 12pm and zerozero?

with my (German) local settings, I don't have any am or pm in the clips tag, nor in its real file name.

----------

so, could be a simple translation error - from metric to am/pm, or from am/pm to 'computer-ish'/Unix

summary: use the built-in Adjust feature 😉

Dec 29, 2012 11:17 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Karsten, the built-in adjust feature does not enable the correct timecode info at the VIEW/PLAYHEAD INFO feature. Rather it shows the file modified date. So the original poster needs this to work. I would agree with you that you do not change a filename once you have used it in a project, but there is no harm changing a filename before import.

Dec 29, 2012 11:35 AM in response to AppleMan1958

AppleMan1958 wrote:

Karsten, the built-in adjust feature does not enable the correct timecode info at the VIEW/PLAYHEAD INFO feature. …

message understood.

I tried with my set-up: using the Adjust-feature results in an UNCHANGED file-name - but the playhead info shows the wanted, manipulated timestamp, so my assumption is, some 'innerts'/meta info gets changed. what effect the name-changing has on it, is a lil' beyond my endurance ..... afair, there are tools which allow a look inside a qt.file

what I intended to say is: start with a simple 07:15 before daring dark-zero 😁

Event Browser - Display Playhead Info iMovie 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.