Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FAT32 Hard Disk Format

I read a discussion:

Topic: Format Lacie hard disk to use with mac & pc HELP

"Format as FAT32 both the Mac and the PC will be able to read and write to the disk. However note that there is a 4GB file limit with FAT32 and use the Mac to format as an XP PC can only format a 32GB partition though it can read bigger FAT32 partitions."

I have a 80GB Samsung external hard disk. Can I format it as FAT32? How do I format it as FAT32? What exactly should I do?

I just wanted to explain a few things as it might be related to my problem.

When I first bought the external hard disk, a guy at the shop formatted the hard disk as MSDOS File System using the Disk Utility. I was able to use the hard disk with both Mac and Windows.

A few weeks ago, I formatted my 60GB startup disk and reinstalled my Mac OS. I backed up all my files into the external hard disk. There was some prob because I accidentally disconnected the hard disk while I was verifying the hard disk using Disk Utility.

Later on, whenever I connected the external hard disk to my Mac, a message saying that "You have just inserted a disk containg a format that is not recognised my Mac" comes up.

A friend of mine managed to rescue all my files (backup of the startup disk) in the external hard disk using DiskWarrior. All the files were put back into my startup disk.

But now, when I format my external hard disk as MSDOS File System, this message comes up. "You have just inserted a disk containg a format that is not recognised my Mac". Both Mac and Windows can't read nor write the external hard disk.

I can only format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and use it only with Mac.....or......format it in a Windows PC and use it only with a Windows PC.

I'm not sure how to format it as FAT32 because there is no such format in the Disk Utility. How do I format it?

I hope you guys can help me.

PowerBook G4 17-inch, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Apr 30, 2006 8:37 PM

6 replies

May 1, 2006 10:28 AM in response to MrDK

It sounds like you may have corrupted the partition table.

Using Disk Utility

Split the disk into two partitions and format both as MS-DOS (which is FAT32).

Check that you can read/write to both partitions.

Then create a single partition (MS-DOS) and that should now work as before.

Another alternative is to use a third party tool such as Partition Magic on the Windows PC to format the drive.
User uploaded file
iFelix

May 2, 2006 8:59 PM in response to MrDK

Using Disk Utility

I tried to partition the disk to two parts but there is no MS-DOS format listed at the partition menu.
So, I formatted it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

After that, I formatted the hard disk again with only one partition as MS-DOS. I put the name of the drive as "Samsung 80GB". I can't read/write to the disk at all.

Later on, I changed the name to "Samsung" and formatted it again as MS-DOS and it is working flawlessly.

So, looks like I can't use numbers as the name of the disk. Any comments?

FAT32 Hard Disk Format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.