Skip navigation

Install Failure

157 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 28, 2012 7:41 PM by Hargrove2011 RSS
Hargrove2011 Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 28, 2012 5:36 PM

I bought the Snow Leopard install disk to upgrade from 10.5.8 to 10.6, and I put the disk in and click on the Install Mac OS X icon, and it gives me an error saying "The application 'Install Mac OS X Cannot be ran from this volume"

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)
  • CMCSK Level 6 Level 6 (10,250 points)
    Dec 28, 2012 5:52 PM (in response to Hargrove2011)

seasons6.gif

Did you boot from the install disc by holding down the "c" key?  Did you repair permissions prior to the install attempt?

dancingsmilie.gif

Dec 28, 2012 6:11 PM (in response to Hargrove2011)

Hargrove2011 wrote:

yes, I have tried botting from it and repairing the permissions, to no avail for either

the thing is, when I boot from the disk, the apple logo shows up, along with the loading circle below it, and sticks there

Where or who did you purchase the upgrade disc from?

Which volume did you select?  How large is your hard drive and how much hard drive space do you have left?  Was wondering if you have enough for Snow Leopard.

Disconnect all peripherals from your computer.

Boot from your install disc & run Repair Disk from the utility menu. To use the Install Mac OS X disc, insert the disc, and restart your computer while holding down the C key as it starts up.

Select your language.

Once on the desktop, select Utility in the menu bar.

Select Disk Utility.

Select the disk or volume in the list of disks and volumes, and then click First Aid.

Click Repair Disk.

Restart your computer when done.

Repair permissions after you reach the desktop-http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2963 and restart your computer.  Now try to upgrade.  Any success?

dancingsmilie.gif

Dec 28, 2012 7:37 PM (in response to Hargrove2011)

Hargrove2011 wrote:

disk drive (external) had shut off,

You did not mention this in your original post.  Why aren't you using the computer's internal drive?

dancingsmilie.gif

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.