Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to restart in recovery mode

Hello!

My iMac (24-inch early 2008, 3.06 GHz Inte Core 2 Duo) running Mac OS X 10.8.2 is:

a) encrypted with FileVault 2 and

b) protected with a firmware password.

My problem: I can not restart in recovery mode!

Using CMD-R takes me to a startup-screen with two user: a guest-account and another labeled "should be updated".

Restarting the iMac while holding down the Option key shows in the Startup Manager only my internal drive.

What else can I do in order to be able to restart in recovery mode?

Thank you!

Regards,

Vlad Ghitulescu

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Aperture 3.4.3

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 7:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 10:33 AM

Reset the NVRAM.

14 replies

Dec 30, 2012 4:07 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi, Linc!

Thank for your reply!

I've tried to reset the NVRAM, but after holding cmd-alt-P-R immediatelly after restart the lock-screen of the firmware-password appeared. After entering the firmware-password I've got the same startup-screen with the two user (guest-account and "[should be updated]") described above.

So I've learned that:

• I cannot make a safe-reboot due to FileVault2
  • I cannot make a reboot on the recovery partition (the subject of my original question)
  • I cannot reset the NVRAM

:-(((

Kind regards,

Vlad

Dec 30, 2012 6:59 AM in response to Vlad Ghitulescu

I cannot make a safe-reboot due to FileVault2

That's right.

I cannot reset the NVRAM

Yes you can, and I think you already did. If you tried again to get into Recovery mode, and failed, then something is wrong with your installation. That's also indicated by the error you reported in your original message. The pre-boot authentication dialog isn't working.

You need to deactivate FileVault. Do that either by booting from another volume or by starting in target disk mode and connecting the iMac to another Mac running OS X 10.7 or later. In either case, launch Disk Utility and decrypt the boot volume (File > Turn Off Encryption).

How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

I'm assuming you have backups. If you don't, you need to back up before you do anything else.

Dec 30, 2012 10:42 AM in response to Vlad Ghitulescu

• I cannot make a safe-reboot due to FileVault2
  • I cannot make a reboot on the recovery partition (the subject of my original question)
  • I cannot reset the NVRAM

You are correct. FileVault will prevent booting to Safe Mode by holding the Shift key at startup. You also cannot reset the NVRAM (PRAM) with the firmware password set. These features will have to be disabled in order to perform these actions.

Booting to Recovery should be allowed if you supply the password, but if not then there is a problem with the recovery partition. Usually reinstalling OS X is a simple way to set up this partition again without harming your user data, applications, and settings. Can you use Apple's Recovery Disk Assistant program (http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1433) to create a bootable thumb drive from your Recovery HD? If so then you can use this to reinstall OS X just as you would the Recovery HD itself.

Alternatively you can hold Option-Command-R at bootup to invoke the Internet Recovery mode if your Mac supports it. This will have your system download the recovery tools instead of using the ones installed on the Recovery HD partition.

Dec 30, 2012 10:48 AM in response to Vlad Ghitulescu

One thing you always have to keep in mind about Apple Support Communities is that it's not an Apple Support portal. It's a discussion forum. The content is provided by end users and is worth what you paid for it. None of the technical information given out here comes from Apple representatives, and none of it should be considered definitive. Some of it is helpful, and some is wrong. The difference may not be obvious. The fact that someone offers an opinion doesn't mean that he knows what he's talking about. Use caution, do your own research, and make backups before acting on any advice you're given here.

Dec 30, 2012 10:57 AM in response to Linc Davis

Hi, Linc!

Yes, I have my Backups: the daily one is just been updated, the weekly one and the monthly one follows and TimeMachine runs in the background.

After everything is been updated I will first disable the firmware-password and try again.

If this still doesn't work I will deactivate FileVault in order to test this too.

I will report the results after this.

Thanks again!

Kind regards,

Vlad

Dec 31, 2012 5:12 PM in response to Vlad Ghitulescu

Hello and Happy New Year!

After updating all of my backups I disabled the firmware-password. The reboot in the recovery mode was NOT possible.

I was however able afterwards to reset the NVRAM and this did it!

After the NVRAM-reset I could restart in recovery-mode. I didn't reinstall the OS since my original problem was solved.

Thanks again for your patience! :-)

Kind regards,

Vlad

unable to restart in recovery mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.