Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to switch focus in Mail.app?

Hello!

I am trying to use Mail.app only with the keyboard.

However one last thing keeps me using the MagicTrackpad: I was not able to discover how to switch the focus from one folder of the folder list on the left side to the mails within this folder (in the middle panel - using the 3-panel-view).

Do you have an idea how to do this?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Vlad

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Aperture 3.4.3

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 9:15 PM

6 replies

Dec 29, 2012 9:23 AM in response to Jeffrey Jones2

Hi, Jeffrey!

Thanks for your reply!

In the linked article you can find:

"You can use the tab key to switch between the three areas of Mail.app’s interface — (1) the Mailbox Viewer, (2) The Message List Viewer, the (3) Preview Pane and the search field in the Toolbar:"

This is no longer true for me (not even in the classic design!), running Version 6.2 (1499) from Mail.app with 10.8.2: I can not switch between this areas using the tab key!

Do you?

Kind regards,

Vlad

Dec 29, 2012 1:34 PM in response to Barney-15E

Hi, Barney!

Thanks for your reply!

I have less than 10 inboxes and I use already cmd-# for this BUT this not solves my problem: I want to switch the focus in the choosen inbox (or smart folder) from the first panel (the most left one) to the second one (with the list of the mails) only with the keyboard.

And I have already Full Keyboard Access enabled in Keyboard System Prefernces.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Vlad

How to switch focus in Mail.app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.