Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac App store won't let me re-download Mountain Lion on a Late 2012 Mac mini, says computer is incompatible.

I have a brand new late-2012 Mac mini running 10.8.2. I'm trying to re-download ML from the App Store to create a bootable USB recovery key just in case. I'm being told that I can't DL Mountain Lion because my computer isn't compatible. How can that be?!

Part of the reason I want this key is the fact that I just jumped through 5,000 hoops to recover Mid-2011 MacBook Air from the recovery partition. The installation kept giving me an error. EXTREMELY annoying. I had no key. It set me back a few days. I don't want this problem to happen again.

I have a valid purchase, I own the software, I should be able to download it, period.

Mac mini-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:56 PM

13 replies

Dec 29, 2012 1:14 AM in response to gtangjr

To reinstall OS X on a Late 2012, you have to start into OS X Recovery, pressing Command and R keys while your Mac is starting. The reason is that your computer uses a special OS X version that it's not available in the App Store, and that's why you get a message telling that your Mac isn't supported. Also, you can't use it to reinstall OS X on a different computer.

In other words, you can't get the MacBook Air working again unless you had purchased Mountain Lion before getting the Mac mini

Dec 29, 2012 1:34 AM in response to gtangjr

And the problem is that you can't download Mountain Lion on a Late 2012 Mac mini from the App Store because the available version isn't compatible with that computer. To reinstall OS X on the MacBook Air, as you have it on OS X Recovery, select the option to reinstall OS X and type your Apple ID to install OS X. If you can't, you need another computer to redownload Mountain Lion on the App Store

Dec 29, 2012 3:31 AM in response to gtangjr

As others have stated, OSX in the app store is not

yet "synced' with the version on 2012 Macs as these

Macs have new hardware and drivers. They will end up

being "synced" in the next release.

FWIW, I don't see why they can't have a current version in

the app store that supports all current Mac models. I doesn't

seem that it should be such a big deal to swap out the old

download with a new one with the additional components.

But then again, I'm just a simple engineer that develops hardware,

firmware, and software, what do I know about marketing and

retailing politics.

Dec 29, 2012 6:54 AM in response to woodmeister50

Well said.

If I follow the advice of the fellow above and download the installer via Internet Recovery, I'm not going to be given access to the installer for the sake of making my key—or will I? At want point in that workflow will I have the opportunity to boot to back into my already working OS (on the 2012 mini) in order to do what I need to do?

I have access to a most recent release (2012) 13" MacBook Air (FWIW, the 2011 MacBook Air in question above happens to be an 11"). Am I likely to run into the same problem as with the 2012 Mac mini, where the version in the App Store still hasn't been "synced"?

Unbelievably annoying. Worse still is while I'm stuck in self-help purgatory, if something were to happen the recommendation would be to visit the Genius Bar. It's not a bad service, but why should I have to rely on it if I'm perfectly capable of taking care of everything myself provided the correct tools are at hand?

Incidentally, what happened with the 2011 MacBook Air is that the stock hard drive was formatted prior to sale. The recovery partition was left intact. I used it to begin the reinstallation of the OS. It was working fine until I realized I didn't have enough time at the moment to continue to download the required assets. The computer needed to be transported 200 miles away and time was of the essence.

I cancelled the installation with the intention of revisiting it when I got to my destination. When I did so, even after freshly formatting the drive again in Disk Utility, I got an error right as the download began. No amount of tries made a difference. Same error. The only thing that will work, obviously, is a USB key or the equivalent with the installation files pre-downloaded—unless someone here has some other insight.

Thanks so much to all.

Dec 29, 2012 6:58 AM in response to gtangjr

gtangjr wrote:

If I follow the advice of the fellow above and download the installer via Internet Recovery, I'm not going to be given access to the installer for the sake of making my key—or will I? At want point in that workflow will I have the opportunity to boot to back into my already working OS (on the 2012 mini) in order to do what I need to do?

You can't burn a DVD or USB drive with the installer from Internet Recovery.

I have access to a most recent release (2012) 13" MacBook Air (FWIW, the 2011 MacBook Air in question above happens to be an 11"). Am I likely to run into the same problem as with the 2012 Mac mini, where the version in the App Store still hasn't been "synced"?

This case is different. A Mid 2012 MacBook Air came with Lion but now they have Mountain Lion, and it uses the same version as the Mid 2011 MacBook Air, so you can use it to download Mountain Lion and install it on the Mid 2011 MacBook Air

Dec 29, 2012 7:11 AM in response to mende1

>>>>This case is different. A Mid 2012 MacBook Air came with Lion but now they have Mountain Lion, and it uses the same version as the Mid 2011 MacBook Air, so you can use it to download Mountain Lion and install it on the Mid 2011 MacBook Air

This 2012 13" MacBook Air was purchased about 1 month ago. It shipped with Mountain Lion.

Dec 29, 2012 7:26 AM in response to mende1

Correct, but you're saying that a mid-2012 MBAs (5,1 and 5,2) came with Lion at one point. At first i thought not, but now i think of it I suppose they did since they were part of the ML free update program. I'll give this a try. I have a feeling it will work just fine.

Still, it's ridiculous that we're subject to the backend machinations of differing builds. As a user, when I click "Download" on a past purchase of Mountain Lion, I should at least get an installer. During setup, the installer itself should ping Apple for the relevant build and take it from there instead of waving the user handcuffed. From the user's perspective, as long as I have a computer on the list of models compatible with ML, I shouldn't ever be denied a working download of something I own. Moreover, an error of incompatibility with no other included insight is just asinine when the very computer being used to download the supposedly incompatible ML is running ML itself. Users don't realize that there are different builds within a release. They look at an error like that and think Apple crazy. Well, that or themselves.

Thanks.

Dec 29, 2012 7:37 AM in response to Barney-15E

>>>>>Ahh, there's the rub. You don't own the OS. You merely have a license to use it under the conditions set by Apple.

>>>I realized this right as I sent the reply—just as I don't own the song, the movie, the book, and so on that I willingly paid for. Maybe Bruce Willis' peculiar desire to legally bequeath his digital music to his daughters is more than just a statement. Maybe it will have far-reaching implications.

Or, much more likely, it won't make any difference at all.

Mac App store won't let me re-download Mountain Lion on a Late 2012 Mac mini, says computer is incompatible.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.