Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with Scientific American podcasts.

I cannot download any podcasts from scientific america. I was able to download 60-second science up until about a week ago, now I'm getting error 8006 for all 60-second podcasts and error 9006 for science talk. All other podcasts are working fine.

Windows XP

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:43 PM

18 replies

Dec 31, 2012 2:51 PM in response to sirtwist2

I have the same problem. I have subscribed to several of the"60-Second" podcasts plus the "Science Talk" podcast for a long time. The "Science Talk" podcast started failing with the 12/18 episode and the "60-second" podcasts started failing on 12/19. I have sent an email to webmaster@sciam.com a few days ago, but no response yet. It works on my iPhone, but not on my PC or my laptop - both running Windows 7.

Jan 1, 2013 12:38 PM in response to sirtwist2

Same issue here. According to Steve Mirsky's twitter, he says they know about it, and it looks like it's an issue on iTunes' side (and they've notified Apple). However, looking at their XML file, they're giving all the podcasts the filename podcast.mp3, and have some sort of lookup that pulls in the correct info. Not sure if that's correct or not (seems to work ok in Chrome, but maybe iTunes is different).

Incidentally, like Art and DPDouglas say above, it's downloading for me in the Podcast app in iOS6. Subscribe, auto-download on your iPhone/iPad, then when you sync up with iTunes, it transfer back to your library.

Also, I'm still using iTunes 10, maybe it works in iTunes 11 (but I'm not planning on moving to it any time soon).

Jan 1, 2013 5:08 PM in response to Art from NYC

Art from NYC wrote:

I have ITunes 11 and it does not work there.

Since the problem is on my PC and not on the Iphone or Ipad, could it be a firewall problem?

Wouldn't think it was a firewall problem due to other people having the same problem.

I have the iOS6 podcast app, haven't tried downloading on that yet, will try it tonite, thanks for the tip!

Jan 5, 2013 1:26 PM in response to sirtwist2

I am having exactly the same problem. It is only effecting the various Scientific American podcast, 60 Second ones and Science talk all getting 8006 errors when trying to download in iTunes. But I can downlod in the Podcast on iPhone 5 fine. Also I subscribe to lots of other podcasts in itunes and not having errors with anything else.

Problem started around the time I upgraded iTunes from 10 to 11 but that may just be a conincidence.

Jan 5, 2013 3:46 PM in response to sirtwist2

Ditto the suddenly broken links to Sci-am podcasts."Science Talk", "60 Second Science", "..Mind", "..Earth", and "..Space" stopped updating Dec 19,'12, coincidentaly the same day I upgraded to iTunes 11.0.1. (from 10. something) I get the grey Podcast link with an "8006" error message upon attempt. Can't download directly from the iTunes Sci-am podcast page. Work-arounds: Rss from Sci-am webpage works in Firefox. New episodes also download as mp3s from Sci-am web page, then will open with iTunes: the file winds up in the Music folder. Oddity: today the iTunes store has no 60 Second Science page, though the others mentioned above exist with up to date episodes, though with broken links. All of my other podcasts, (many), work as before.

I'm going to start this thread in the general iTunes area, as it affects more than "iTunes for Windows"

Jan 7, 2013 2:25 PM in response to sirtwist2

I've also contacted Scientific American. They are aware of the problem, though not the solution, yet. But have broken links on others too -- namely the News hour. So I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that apple changed something. They are apt to do that kind of thing, rarely announced before, and NEVER admitted after. So putting this thread up is perfectly acceptable thing to do.

Jan 7, 2013 8:24 PM in response to Scott Nash

Hmm . . . Scientific American didn't say anything to me except that I should check with Apple. They must be getting more complaints since I talked to them.

Apple replied to my complaint by blaming Windows, namely either a firewall or a download accelerator. They also said it could be because of the podcast being too long (they are, in fact, some of the shortest podcasts I download, which I believe the error code 8006 specifically states!), an out of date iTunes, trying to download too many podcasts at the same time, or a corrupted iTunes. I tried all their suggestions, even tho I already knew it wasn't any of those issues. I replied to their response, hopefully I'll get someone who actually knows what they're talking about this time.

Message was edited by: sirtwist2

Jan 8, 2013 10:19 PM in response to sirtwist2

Got a second reply back from Apple, they are insisting it is a firewall issue. They say that because the podcasts are user made, something in the way Scientific American makes the podcasts is triggering a problem with my firewall while all my other podcasts are working fine. This sounds like hogwash to me but I tried, again, downloading 60-second Science without my firewall, and, it worked, sort of. The lastest one, which iTunes tried to download automatically when I ran iTunes earlier, still wouldn't download. But, when I had it show all available episodes and then tried to download the ones from yesterday, they downloaded, even tho they wouldn't download yesterday. This still doesn't solve my problem as I'm not going to turn off my firewall just to download podcasts, but it does seem like a firewall problem. I'm going to make sure my firewall is up to date, although I'm sure it is. Not sure what the next step is here, anyone knowledgeable about firewalls, namely Zone Alarm, have any suggestions?

Jan 8, 2013 10:47 PM in response to sirtwist2

I emailed them yesterday, and the response I got just said it must be a problem with SciAm. After reading your response, I tried to download them again tonight, and all of a sudden, they are mostly working. I have been able to download about 80% of the ones I have tried, after not getting any for a while. Hopefully whatever was wrong is being fixed...

Problems with Scientific American podcasts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.