Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Motion Tracker for Final Cut Pro X

It would have been nice to have a motion tracker with a freehand masking tool in FCP X for color correction like it was there in apple color, Masks do a good job but the choice is limited. Smoke 2013 is awsome but costs a lot more, FCP X interface looks better than smoke 2013 at a glance but only if we had a motion tracker with a freehand tool for masking there's nothing like FCP X for video editors and colorists. I'm lookin forward towards the above mentioned. If anyone can reach this request to the FCP X designers it would be wonderful. We can all benifit and acheive much more and avoid a lot of editors switching from FCP X to Smoke 2013. Hoping for the best. Long live FCP X. 🙂

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 12:28 AM

11 replies

Dec 29, 2012 3:31 PM in response to frezeo

All that is in Motion. Freehand tool (shapes and masking), Beziér tool (ditto), Motion tracker... keyframing shapes... all of it.

Problem is... tracking doesn't translate to FCPX so you can't make a template out of it (easily... without some hardcore programming.)

Easiest thing to do: Export the clip (highest quality necessary [PR422LT or better]). Open it in Motion, perform the masking/tracking and export as ProRes 4444 (necessary for the alpha channel.) Import the finished product back into FCPX.

Mar 26, 2013 2:24 PM in response to frezeo

I wish I could. The learning curve is too steep for me to spend a lot of time with it right now. And then I have one question I'd like answered before pursuing it much further: Would creating a Motion Effect using Pixel Conduit for general distribution require all those who would use it also install the Pixel Conduit Plugin architecture? (Or will Motion copy over the FxPlug embedded in the Effect for FCPX?) If it doesn't require end users to install Pixel Conduit, I might spend more time exploring this tool.

Motion Tracker for Final Cut Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.