Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud - basic info required!!

Hi, I've got multiple devices under my Apple id.

My iPhone, my sons iPhone, and a 'family' iPad.

Never used iCloud, but would quite like to - if it turns out to be of benefit.

I would basically like to know if I can use iron my iPhone, but without using the other devices.? Or without even allowing the other devices from accessing it.

Eg: I don't want my son from bring able to access or edit any of my data.

In an ideal world, it would be handy to backup all devices, but kept separately. I assume this is impossible without having more Apple accounts.

On a slight tangent to this, when installing his phone, his iMessage came up with my apple id and email address. I changed the email to his one. I just wanted to be 100% sure that he can not activate my email address and inadvertently receive iMessages that were meant for me.

(I'm sure he wouldn't wish to see what me and his mum discuss!!!!)

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 5:21 AM

10 replies

Dec 29, 2012 5:34 AM in response to Sparky123456789

You should each have your own ID's for use with iCloud, you can if you wish continue to use a shared ID for iTunes, but in order to use it each user would probably need to know the ID and password, which means they could log into your iCloud account if they wanted to.

A complete solution if you all wanted to share iTunes would be for no-one to use the ID used for iTunes as their ID for iCloud.

Dec 29, 2012 5:53 AM in response to Sparky123456789

Sparky123456789 wrote:

So iCloud won't automatically sync all devices using the Apple ID then.?

Yes it will if all devices use the same ID for iCloud, but that will mean you all share the same mail, contacts, calendars etc, which I had presumed you didn't want to happen.

No one knows my Apple ID password. So if my son needs an app, I put in the password for the purchase.

In which case, you could use your ID for iTunes and iCloud, he could use your ID for iTunes and his own ID for iCloud.

Dec 30, 2012 5:17 AM in response to Sparky123456789

Back up and photostream are different things, I'm assuming we are discussing photostream here.

Firstly make sure that photostream is enabled on both devices in the iCloud settings.

Do you have any photos in your photostream album on your phone. Photostream when enabled will only add photos from the camera roll that were taken post photostream activation. (Photostream does not currently share video)

Dec 31, 2012 11:56 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Cheers once again.

I read it as it would back up all photos already on the device.

Unless I cant find it, there needs to be a "manual" in basic terms explaining all this.!!

Like it moved all my Outlook contacts from my normal email account, into the iCloud account... I panicked thinking I had lost them completely.

Thanks and have a good New Years.

iCloud - basic info required!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.