Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How big of a spreadsheet does Numbers support?

I had built a database to catalog my CD/Cassette/Album collection in Appleworks and it held more than 3500 entries. With an upgrade, the OS did not support it and I lost it all. Going to start again, but want to be sure the app I use will be sufficient. Anyone out there have any issues with Numbers? Suggest an alternative?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 17 "2.4 GHz 4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 6:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 7:35 AM

Hi Hawkeye,

I read your question, and decided to test Numbers. I opened a blank Numbers document and held my

finger on the Enter key (to add rows to the sheet) until I reached Row 1160. Then I gave up (yawn) and here I am replying to you.

I also tried Numbers Help, but could not find technical details about the maximum size of a sheet.

No doubt Numbers allows more rows than 1160, but I don't know how many.

A suggestion: when you start to compile your list again, save your data as a tab-delimited plain text file (tabs between columns). Such a file can be opened by any app. If it doesn't fit into Numbers, you will still have your data.

Ian.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2012 7:35 AM in response to HawkeyeKim

Hi Hawkeye,

I read your question, and decided to test Numbers. I opened a blank Numbers document and held my

finger on the Enter key (to add rows to the sheet) until I reached Row 1160. Then I gave up (yawn) and here I am replying to you.

I also tried Numbers Help, but could not find technical details about the maximum size of a sheet.

No doubt Numbers allows more rows than 1160, but I don't know how many.

A suggestion: when you start to compile your list again, save your data as a tab-delimited plain text file (tabs between columns). Such a file can be opened by any app. If it doesn't fit into Numbers, you will still have your data.

Ian.

How big of a spreadsheet does Numbers support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.