Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Increase or change font size in Mail for easier reading?

I sometimes have tired eyes and want to increase the appearance of the font size (similar to the pinch gesture in safari) but can't find a way to do that. Is there a way to make it more readable for people with weak or tired eyes?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:09 AM

15 replies

Dec 30, 2012 11:12 AM in response to TildeBee

Thank you, I did notice that worked for the size of the selected message. However, it doesn't change the font size of the other things in mail, and it doesn't affect the font size for composing messages.

I know that you can change the font size within an outgoing message as you compose it, but I only want the font size changed for my sake as I read the message, I don't want to actually change the font of the outgoing message.

Any thoughts about increasing the overall font size? I'm looking for something similar to the pinch gesture in safari.

Dec 31, 2012 6:13 AM in response to TildeBee

I did notice that works in other applications but in mail it will only increase the font size of the message you're reading. It won't increase the font size of anything else in mail - e.g, the two columns to the left of the message you're reading. It also won't increase the font size of a message you're composing. Unfortunately, those are the things I most need to focus on. Thank you for your help so far - if you have any other ideas, let me know!

Dec 31, 2012 12:08 PM in response to ksb82

ksb82--

Yes, the Messagre List Font, chooses the font, & increases/decreases the size of the List of Emails.

The 2nd one (Message Font) Chooses the font, & manages the size of the font in the actual Emails.

The two boxes are different.

To make changes, you have to choose the "Select" box, where you have a long font list, and list of sizes.

In Mail Preferenes > Composing, I'm using Plain Test.

As for increasing the font in the MAILBOX column on the left, I haven't figured that out yet.

Oct 28, 2013 5:02 PM in response to ksb82

I am perplexed as to why when I go to send an E-mail and am composing it, I cannot use the command + sequence, like one can when reading an E-mail, to increase the font size on the screen (but not in the message). This is a significant problem for those of us who are older and whose eyes are not as good as they used to be. Apple- is this not something basic you can fix? You will please a lot of older folks who otherwise like to use high resolution monitors.

If anyone knows a fix, love to hear it.

Thank you

Sep 20, 2014 5:59 AM in response to TildeBee

Hi, Bee. I'm having the same problem as well. I used your solution, and does seem to have made a permanent change in the font size for outgoing mail, but I don't want the recipients to get emails in a size 16 font! I want to change the size of how I VIEW it, not the actual font size. Ditto with not having to do the "Command +" thing every time I open an email. Do you know if Apple has made any improvements to this long-running problem? Thanks.

Increase or change font size in Mail for easier reading?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.