Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lion Server won't update Airport Extreme

I'm trying to get my Lion Server to connect to internet via an Airport Extreme.

I have set it up from a factory reset, and the Airport is visible now in the Lion Server app, but doesn't appear to be able to interact with it.

For example when I change the 'available apps' in the Server.app and click on "Restart Airport" nothing at all happens on the Airport, even though after a short while the Server.app says it has finished. When I go to the Airport and look in the "Port Settings" window under "Network" there are no entries at all.

My set up is very simple:

• MacPro (2,1) running Lion Server 10.7.5
  • Ethernet connection to Airport Extreme (3rd Generation) (Firmware 7.6.1) giving MacPro a fixed IP
  • Direct connection from Airport Extreme to cable modem giving Airport Extreme a fixed IP (with FQDN)

Airport settings:

• IPv6 Automatic configuration
  • IPv6 Tunnelling
  • NAT Port Mapping Protocol enabled,
  • Default Host disabled,
  • Wifi disabled.

I've got a work-around which is to put the single machine in the "Default Host", but would be more useful if I could get it working.

Any ideas anyone?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.3), 9Gbytes - OS X Server

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:38 AM

Which version of Airport Utility are you using?

If it is the latest, have you tried with Airport Utlity 5.6

7 replies

Dec 29, 2012 10:49 AM in response to Alberto Ravasio

Thanks for the suggestion.

Installing 5.6 helped, but in an indirect way. Using 6.1 I wasn't able to update the port assignments manually (you can enter them, but bizarrely only sometimes would it remember the port assignments - other times it would save the entry but with blanks in each port box). But with 5.6 at least I can enter the ports manually (and it remembers them).

Not a complete solution - relies upon knowing what ports needed for what service, and the 'Server.app updates your Airport' connection still not there.

Perhaps it is a bug in Airport 6.x?

Dec 30, 2012 1:48 AM in response to Alberto Ravasio

Yes. Plus, I did a couple of factory resets in case is it was some hangover from some previous life. I even swapped the airport out for another one. None has had any effect - still no connection to Lion's Server.app, and still unable to manually enter (reliably) port settings using 6.1. In a sense, that 5.6 works is both encouraging (get job done after a fashion) and frustrating (in that clearly missing something obvious as others have got the link to work... ).

Jan 2, 2013 2:46 AM in response to Alberto Ravasio

Good call. Here's what's in the log:

02/01/2013 10:33:43.636 servermgrd: portmaplist: synch needed /private/etc/nat/autoportmap.plist

02/01/2013 10:34:05.402 servermgrd: portmaplist: synch needed /private/etc/nat/autoportmap.plist

02/01/2013 10:34:06.720 servermgrd: IGD Connection Failed: password not accepted

So somehow the Server.app has picked up the wrong password for the router.

I am not sure where this password is kept. It doesn't appear to be the server's keychain. I've checked all the entries there that relate to the airport and they are all correct. It is not stored in the /etc/nat/autoportmap.plist either (which is simply a list showing the port configurations that would be applied for each service etc.).

Also doesn't directly explain why Airport Utility v6 doesn't update the entries properly - but that's for another day I think.

Any ideas where the password used by Server.app lives?

Jan 2, 2013 3:14 AM in response to Gavin Lawrie

OK - found out where the keychain keeps the password (in the system keychain, not the user one).

So cleared out the password, and restarted the server, and sure enough upon restarting Server.app it asked for the airport password. So put in the correct password, and lo... nothing. Not sure how much of this block is directly relevant, but you get the idea...

02/01/2013 11:06:48.566 servermgrd: portmaplist: synch needed /private/etc/nat/autoportmap.plist

02/01/2013 11:06:53.685 servermgrd: portmaplist: synch needed /private/etc/nat/autoportmap.plist

02/01/2013 11:06:54.987 servermgrd: IGD Connection Failed: password not accepted

02/01/2013 11:06:56.424 servermgrd: portmaplist: synch needed /private/etc/nat/autoportmap.plist

02/01/2013 11:06:57.729 servermgrd: IGD Connection Failed: password not accepted

02/01/2013 11:06:58.070 servermgrd: servermgr_ipfilter:ipfw config:Notice:Flushed IPv4 rules

02/01/2013 11:06:58.165 servermgrd: servermgr_ipfilter:ipfw config:Notice:Flushed IPv6 rules

02/01/2013 11:07:00.195 servermgrd: portmaplist: synch needed /private/etc/nat/autoportmap.plist

02/01/2013 11:07:08.592 servermgrd: received message with invalid client_id 47

Not sure what the "invalid client_id 47" relates to. But I did find that this type of problem is not new - similar issues are being reported in these discussions for 10.5.x

Most frustrating! Any ideas about where to go from here gratefully received.

Lion Server won't update Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.