Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help with Network, IP Addresses not renewing?

On my eMac, under System preferences, Network, I have 2 locations. I don't remember when or how they were setup, but both have different IP addresses when enabled. I messed with something and now both the IP addresses are the same and won't renew. Its not my ISP because they are renewing on my PC, and on my backup copy of my Mac HD.

I want to try trashing the preferences but have no idea, where or which ones to trash.

Can anyone help me please,

Thank you in advance,
Deb

eMac 2005 1.42ghz Combo 75gb 1gb Ram
Mac OS X (10.4)
2 WD FW HD's 160gb & 320gb Creative Speakers

Posted on May 1, 2006 5:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2006 7:49 AM

You're thinking of /Library/Preferences/com.apple.networkConfig.plist, /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfig.plist, and /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconnect.plist.

Before moving the preference .plist files to the desktop and logging out / back in, you can re-check how you have your network settings now. Can you remind us how you connect to the net --- dialup or broadband, with or without a router? What are the two locations called? In what order are they listed in Network Port Configurations? You'd typically have built-in Ethernet or Airport as the first network port, and when selecting to show the built-in Ethernet or Airport, the Ethernet tab would be set for automatic, the TCP/IP tab to configure IPv4 using DHCP, and IPv6 set to configure automatically. Are you using any proxies?

If you post back with your network details, someone should be able to help you figure out when it's not working.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2006 7:49 AM in response to Debberss

You're thinking of /Library/Preferences/com.apple.networkConfig.plist, /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconfig.plist, and /Users/[username]/Library/Preferences/com.apple.internetconnect.plist.

Before moving the preference .plist files to the desktop and logging out / back in, you can re-check how you have your network settings now. Can you remind us how you connect to the net --- dialup or broadband, with or without a router? What are the two locations called? In what order are they listed in Network Port Configurations? You'd typically have built-in Ethernet or Airport as the first network port, and when selecting to show the built-in Ethernet or Airport, the Ethernet tab would be set for automatic, the TCP/IP tab to configure IPv4 using DHCP, and IPv6 set to configure automatically. Are you using any proxies?

If you post back with your network details, someone should be able to help you figure out when it's not working.

May 3, 2006 2:39 PM in response to JMVP

HI JMVP......Thank you for responding.

I apologize I should have included all that information....my bad.

Here goes

Locations are called
1st Automatic
2nd Filesharing (used for filesharing between eMac and G3)
3rd Location 5/20/05 1:43pm (day I got emac and probably did a Setup Assistant)
4th Test (can remember why I have this one)

Built in Ethernet
Cable Modem Motorola SB5100

Connect DHCP

Not router
No Hub

TCP/IP has not option to config IPv4..only IPv6 and its set to automatic

Network Port Configuration has Ethernet First and checked and then Firewire and Internal Modem, both unchecked.

PPPoe has "show PPPoe status in menu bar" checked. I may have checked the "connect using PPPoe", out of curiosity, before all this started happening.

I moved 2 wks ago and was logging all IP address changes...but didn't for a week prior to move and a week after moved in, so I can't compare IP changes to see if the problem may have started at the time of move in.

I believe when I got the eMac...Automatic probably was already there..the location with date..is when I got my eMac..and I'm assuming I did a setup Assistant and got the Location that way.

When I used to switch between Location and Automatic...each had different IP's...and the one, that was not being used, renewed itself.

I used RR live chat two times and both time they were absolutely useless...they didn't have any support for Macs...they Just kept telling me what to do to renew it on PC.

I unplugged the modem and eMac yesterday and let them sit for over 24 hrs. Still the same IP's.

The IP's are renewing on both my G3 and PC Laptop

I unplugged the modem and eMac yesterday and let them sit for over 24 hrs. Still the same IP's.

I was wondering, because the RR tech said this, that because I use the cable modem with the PC via USB and not Ethernet, there was a big difference as to how IP's are addressed.

Can I used the USB connection to hook up the cable modem to my eMac...just to check out and see if the IP's change? I tried to find info on if I could via Mac Help but all it mentioned was Ethernet.

Thank you in advance,
Deb

May 3, 2006 6:23 PM in response to Debberss

If there's no router, how is the cable modem being shared among the eMac, G3, and PC? Are you physically moving the Ethernet cable from G3 to eMac as needed? You mentioned using USB to connect the PC; is this at the same time as the Ethernet cable is in use? The Motorola Surfboard I have doesn't have a built-in router, and it's meant to be used with one computer at a time --- a router stands in for the computer, gets an IP from the cable modem, and sets internal IPs for the attached computers, while the cable modem thinks it has one device attached. If you're using the cable modem by swapping the cable from one computer to asnother, the cable modem sees the MAC (Media access control) number of the first device connected and won't respond properly to another MAC until the cable modem is reset. When you had the modem unplugged for a day, did you first reattach it to the eMac or did you test it on the PC or G3 first?

Cable modems on Macs using USB is a well-known can of worms --- Ethernet drivers are built into the Mac OS, USB drivers have to come from the modem manufacturer, and there are very, very few reports of USB cable modems working well, Stick with Ethernet.

PPPoE is for use with DSL modems --- it should be disabled on your eMac.

If I'm picturing your home network correctly, I think what you really need is a basic 4-port Ethernet hub. Just about any router currently on the market should work out of the box to serve the private IPs (the Macs and PCs) using DHCP out of the box. A hardware router would have the additional advantage of providing a hardware NAT firewall that can't be turned off in software. A basic router should be in stock at any computer stre for around US$40 or so.

You'd shut down, unplug the cable modem for 15 minutes, attach Ethernet cables from eMac to router and G3 to router, also from router to PC (since using the cable modem over both USB and Ethernet at the same time runs into the hardware MAC conflict again)), another Ethernet cbale from router to cable modem, plug in the router's power, turn the cable modem back on, start up the Macs. Connect using DHCP, DNS server box empty, and it should work Ok then. You'll need to run Network Assitiant on the PC to switch to Ethernet from USB.

May 4, 2006 7:44 AM in response to JMVP

Hi JMVP

<<If there's no router, how is the cable modem being shared among the eMac, G3, and PC? Are you physically moving the Ethernet cable from G3 to eMac as needed?>>

Yes

<<You mentioned using USB to connect the PC; is this at the same time as the Ethernet cable is in use? >>

No I disconnect Ethernet and plug in USB...although one time I forgot to unplug Ethernet and had both in the sockets, but wasn't using the eMac at the same time...it was only I went to switch it back over to Ethernet for the Mac ..did I notice they were both plugged into the back of the modem.

<<If you're using the cable modem by swapping the cable from one computer to another, the cable modem sees the MAC (Media access control) number of the first device connected and won't respond properly to another MAC until the cable modem is reset. >>

<<When you had the modem unplugged for a day, did you first reattach it to the eMac or did you test it on the PC or G3 first?>>

I plugged it into the PC first... and then the G3 and and then the eMac..but I unplugged the modem (for 2 to 3 minutes) from power..but not the tv cable, between each computer change over to reset the modem.

<<Cable modems on Macs using USB is a well-known can of worms --- Ethernet drivers are built into the Mac OS, USB drivers have to come from the modem manufacturer, and there are very, very few reports of USB cable modems working well, Stick with Ethernet. >>

Ok that's what I thought when I couldn't find any info and their wasn't a drop down menu for connecting USB ...in the Network.

<<PPPoE is for use with DSL modems --- it should be disabled on your eMac.>>

So uncheck the "show PPPoe status in menu bar"?

<<A basic router should be in stock at any computer stre for around US$40 or so.
You'll need to run Network Assitiant on the PC to switch to Ethernet from USB. >>

I know 0 about Routers, but the cost is not a top concern. #1 is ease of use, configuring, compatibility, stability etc. Can you recommend one that fits into those categories?

Ok now I do have a D-Link (DUB-E100) Fast Ethernet USB 2.0 adapter for the PC, I just assumed it would be slower than connecting directly to the USB port, cause it has to pass thru the adapter, like a bump in the road..lol, so I haven't used it with the Motorola. Should I use the D-Link instead of USB direct connect to PC?

One last thing I think I should mention. My back system on my ext FW. I came currently booted from it, and have been going back and forth between internal HD and Bkup...trying to see if Bkup was having same IP problems, since I haven't backed up since 2/12/06. Well since I've started doing that..the IP's on the bkup are both different numbers, but haven't renewed since 4/29/06. And one the IP addresses is the same number that is in both locations on the Internal eMac.

Thanks Again,
Deb

eMac 2005 1.42ghz Combo 75gb 1gb Ram OSX 10.4

2 WD FW HD's 160gb & 320gb Creative Speakers

May 4, 2006 12:29 PM in response to Debberss

There's no point displaying PPPoE status when 'connect using PPPoE' is unchecked so by all means uncheck that option.

I don't personally have a separate router (my home network is WiFi usung an Apple Airport Base Station) but I've helped family friends set up home networks using generic Linksys routers. As long as you have a typical home user dynamic IP number account, the out-of-the-box setting to use DHCP should work fine --- just plug it in and go. I'd be inclined to go to a local ChumpUSA or BestBuy and just buy whatever stand-alone router is on sale cheap this week. You may want to post a question in the Tiger Getting Online & Networking forum to ask if anyone has first-hand recommendations (or more usefully, first-hand warnings to stay away from some particular model).

Unplugging the cable modem for 2 to 3 minutes should be enough to reset it but just about every recommendation I've seen about doing so cites 5 minutes or more. Apparently some modem models can retain their internal settings for a surprisingly long time after power is disconnected. No need to unscrew the RG-6 / RG-60 cable from the modem to reset it. (If the cable is marked RG-59 that will likely still work but will ne noiser than the other cable standards and hence drop you effective bandwidth.)

I confess I never heard of the D-Link (DUB-E100) Fast Ethernet USB 2.0 adapter for the PC. A quick look at the D-Link webpage for the device and at the Quick Install Guide PDF suggests it should work as plug-and-play on the PC. (I hope you still have the driver CD that came with the adapter!)

Need help with Network, IP Addresses not renewing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.