Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New computer - contacts lost

Hi,

I got a new laptop today.

An IT guy at work came, connecter external HDD, copied iTunes library from my old laptop, then trasfered everything to my new laptop.

I connected my iPhone 5 (iOs 6.01) to the new laptop, iTunes program started automatically, everything sync'ed automatically. Everything is fine, I can see all my purchases and apps, photos, but my contacts are gone in iPhone! Zero contacts and I had over 250. I tried restoring iPhone, but it didn't help.

What should I do? I do need my contacts...

Thank you in advance.

Regards

edo

iPhone 5

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 9:01 AM

3 replies

Dec 29, 2012 9:46 AM in response to Ingo2711

Thanks. I still have access to my old computer with the older backup.

What should I do?

If I connect my iPhone to my old computer, it will sync and all my contacts will disappear also on old laptop?

What are the steps to avoid this?

And what should I do afterwards to avoid loosing my contacts again after connecting to my new computer?

Dec 29, 2012 9:59 AM in response to edo_LT

Contact info is part of the backup, see if you can replace the backup folder on your new computer.

The location of the backup folder is mentioned here:

The folder where your backup data are stored varies depending on the computer's operating system. Make sure the backup folder is included in your periodic data-backup routine.

iTunes places the backup files in the following places:

• Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
  • Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    Note: To quickly access the Application Data folder, click Start, and choose Run. Type %appdata% and clickOK.
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7: \Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    Note: To quickly access the AppData folder, click Start. In the search bar, type %appdata% and press theReturn key.

copied from iTunes: About iOS backups

You could try to copy that whole folder to your new computer and replace the existing one. After that check if the backup shows up in iTunes/Edit/Preferences/Devices. If yes, use it to restore from and all your info should be back on your phone.

For information about how to create and restore from a backup, see iOS: How to back up.

New computer - contacts lost

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.