Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Performance of new Mac Mini Server is awful compared to a 2007 Macbook Pro laptop

I have a new Mac Mini Server 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, 4 GB ram, Stock hard drives 5400rpm and it is slow and choppy especially when I have more than one program running at a time.

I also have a Late 2007 Macbook Pro laptop 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 4 GB ram, upgraded 7200rpm HD and it handles multiple programs running at the same time quite smoothly (compared to the Mini anyway)

A common set of programs running at the same time are Evernote, iPhoto, and Chrome (with multiple tabs). Memory usage often seems to have a sliver of unused memory and I don't know what a "good" amount of page outs is but there are some.

Can the hard drive speed make THAT much diffrence?

The Mac Mini is not usable with my typical working setup. I am litteraly waiting for over a minute sometimes for a program to respond. Even just opening the menu takes a long time. I can't just run one thing at a time. What is the point? Audio is often choppy and some time does not start for a while or will drop out after a whie, Streaming a video on Hulu may take several attempts to work (even when there are no other noticable network traffic). I think it is all related to the overall performance. If that gets resoved I believe then sound and video will smooth out too.

I was already planning on upgrading the memory (and it is on it's way), but still this should not be happening with the 4 GB I have.

Any thing I should pay attention to? Are there ways to optimize my Mini? (I have not even tried to use the server set-up at this point) Do others have similar issues or did I get a Lemon? (instead of an Apple 🙂 )

Thanks for your input.

MAC MINI SERVER (LATE 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 10:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 11:18 AM

Remember that your Macbook has a dedicated video card while the mini has integrated video so, it uses system memory for video ram. I have a mid 2011 Mac Mini Server 2GHz quad-core i7 w/16GB of RAM that I use as a daily machine and have no issues. Now, I recently added a SSD for my boot drive which makes it night & day faster.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2012 11:18 AM in response to Earththing

Remember that your Macbook has a dedicated video card while the mini has integrated video so, it uses system memory for video ram. I have a mid 2011 Mac Mini Server 2GHz quad-core i7 w/16GB of RAM that I use as a daily machine and have no issues. Now, I recently added a SSD for my boot drive which makes it night & day faster.

Dec 29, 2012 12:49 PM in response to Earththing

First, back up all data immediately, as your boot drive might be failing.

One possible cause of a slow user interface is a large number of image or video files on the Desktop with preview icons. If you have more than a dozen or so such files, move them to another folder.

Otherwise, take these steps when you notice the slowdown.

Step 1

Launch the Activity Monitor application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Activity Monitor in the icon grid.

Select the CPU tab of the Activity Monitor window.

Select All Processes from the menu in the toolbar, if not already selected.

Click the heading of the % CPU column in the process table to sort the entries by CPU usage. You may have to click it twice to get the highest value at the top. What is it, and what is the process? Also post the values for % User, % System, and % Idle at the bottom of the window.

Select the System Memory tab. What values are shown in the bottom part of the window for Page outs and Swap used?

Next, select the Disk Activity tab. Post the approximate values shown for Reads in/sec and Writes out/sec (not Reads in and Writes out.)

Step 2

If you have more than one user account, you must be logged in as an administrator to carry out this step.

Launch the Console application in the same way you launched Activity Monitor. Make sure the title of the Console window is All Messages. If it isn't, select All Messages from the SYSTEM LOG QUERIES menu on the left.

Select the 50 or so most recent messages in the log. Copy them (command-C) to the Clipboard. Paste (command-V) into a reply to this message.

When posting a log extract, be selective. Don't post more than is requested.

Please do not indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Important: Some personal information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

Performance of new Mac Mini Server is awful compared to a 2007 Macbook Pro laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.