Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I disable voice over from my ipad while it's locked?

How can I disable voice over from my ipad while it's locked? I accidentally activated it on my mum's ipad and now she's panicking! Haven't been able to put in her password so a little bit of help asap would be appreciated. Tried double tapping the passcode in but still didn't work! Thanks

iPad 2

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 12:33 PM

How did you turn it on, via Settings or a triple-click of the home button ? You could try triple-clicking the home button and see if that turns it off, and if it does you can then change what a triple-click does via Settings > General > Accessibility > Triple-Click Home.

If that doesn't turn it off then you can either turn it off directly on the iPad (you need to use a tap-to-select and then double-tap to activate/type process and 3 fingered scrolling ; so to type a digit of the passcode tap the digit so that it gets a box around it and then double-tap it to type it) to go into Settings > General > Accessibility and turn VoiceOver 'off', or you can do it by connecting to your computer's iTunes : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4064

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2012 12:33 PM in response to reneeh7

How did you turn it on, via Settings or a triple-click of the home button ? You could try triple-clicking the home button and see if that turns it off, and if it does you can then change what a triple-click does via Settings > General > Accessibility > Triple-Click Home.

If that doesn't turn it off then you can either turn it off directly on the iPad (you need to use a tap-to-select and then double-tap to activate/type process and 3 fingered scrolling ; so to type a digit of the passcode tap the digit so that it gets a box around it and then double-tap it to type it) to go into Settings > General > Accessibility and turn VoiceOver 'off', or you can do it by connecting to your computer's iTunes : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4064

Jul 8, 2015 9:44 AM in response to King_Penguin

ok... I was trying to activate the voice over for reading a file in ibook. Not only it did not work but I can't use my 5c at all. In order to use my phone I need to unlock my screen with my password. When I try to slide the "unlock my screen" the voice over kicks in and does not allow me to proceed. I already tried clicking 3 times the home button and the above instructions given to reneeh7 for his/her iPad... I guess it works different for iPhone . Please help!!!

Jul 8, 2015 9:57 AM in response to pole1108

It's similar for iPhones, but whether you can turn it off via a triple-click of the home buttons depends upon whether that's what you've got a triple-click set to do . If you haven't then you need to use 3 fingers to scroll up/down the screen and tap-to-select double-tap to type/activate to turn it off e.g. to unlock the screen tap the 'slide to unlock' text to select it (it should get a box around it), and then double-tap it to do the sliding (and to enter your passcode tap the digit to select it and then double-tap it to type it).

How do I disable voice over from my ipad while it's locked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.