Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manual Migration to Mountain Lion: but can't see the home library folder.

Hi,

This is my first post in the Apple support community.

I'm moving from iMac running Snow Leopard to my MacBook Pro retina running Mountain Lion.

I only want to move what I really need, and leave all the old software and old files behind.

I put the MacBook Pro in target disc mode and started moving things through a FireWire 800 cable, connected to a Thunderbolt port through an Apple adapter.

Until I came to the items in the home library folder to move - and, of course - I couldn't see the home library folder on my retina MacBook Pro.

The key question is: can I make it visible for the time of the move?

Should I put the old iMac in target disc mode and handle the move from the retina Macbook Pro side and unhide the library folder using the Command + Shift + G keystroke?

Or are the days of manual migration over due to the hidden home library folder?

Applecare support noted I should use the migration assistant, and that I could chose the files I wanted to move.

Can you really do it in such a detail as during a manual migration?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 512 Gb SSD, 16 Gb RAM,

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 11:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 12:45 PM

Choose Go to Folder from the Finder's Go menu and provide ~/Library/ as the path.

(73480)

2 replies

Manual Migration to Mountain Lion: but can't see the home library folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.