Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ipad Hacked - I watched somebody go into my contacts and browse around

I have a new generation Ipad.. (White 32Gig- 3G)... Was on ATT network at home.. Also had Network On.. I set it down for 1 minute to watch something on TV.. Saw the Ipad keyboard open.. Keys were being pressed. Then it went to my contacts and the hacker was browsing around.. So I had to shut it down right away. Got off the ATT network, shut down my router etc... Actually got my wife to come look as I wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things...

Now I've gone ahead and erased the Ipad. Reset my home network and router. Turned off the broadcast of my SSID for my home netowrk.

I then called Cox to make sure all my Router settings were correct. giving me the best protection. While doing this I asked if he had ever heard of an Ipad being compromised. He said no.

I went into an Apple store as another one of my Ipads needed to be replaced. While I was there I asked 2 employees and the manager about Ipads being hacked into. They all said they have never heard of it.

As far as the apps on my Ipad.. They were all Apple Store apps.. The app that was on when this occurred was Subway Surfer.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 1:35 PM

bhazel...

I bought my Ipad from Best Buy.. Not Jailbroken 100%...

I have asked all the techs that work for me to investigate the situation as well.. Nobody seems to have come up with anything..

I looked at another post of a guy who said his was hacked, somebody used his amazon. wep vs wpa2 etc..

I run a 55mb internet connection with WPA2 protection...

69 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2012 1:35 PM in response to bhazel

bhazel...

I bought my Ipad from Best Buy.. Not Jailbroken 100%...

I have asked all the techs that work for me to investigate the situation as well.. Nobody seems to have come up with anything..

I looked at another post of a guy who said his was hacked, somebody used his amazon. wep vs wpa2 etc..

I run a 55mb internet connection with WPA2 protection...

Aug 19, 2013 6:35 AM in response to thomas_r.

It obviously exists, you say there currently is no such malware but look - there are people who have become victims.

A dirty screen would not result in automatic searching on the web - 'Netframework 4'

or continuously accessing other apps

Do you want me to chat with this hacker if he is willing ? I can try going to Note and chat or if he goes on camera again, I will try talk to him should I ?

Apr 25, 2017 10:02 AM in response to Mecaj1

Mecaj1 wrote:

I Have read on line that the iPad can't be hacked. But, I have a new iPad Pro 12.9 and I was hacked. I was texting in messenger and words I texted were deleted and replaced with out my doing it. I was a big apple fan but now I'm not so sure.

Check Settings>General>Keyboard>Text Replacement. It sounds as if you (or someone who had access to your iPad or Apple ID) entered shortcuts. The way they work is that, when you type the "shortcut", it's replaced with something else.

Dec 29, 2012 1:40 PM in response to alekzandr

Have you made these adjustments:

> Change the default wirless network name from default (ex. Linksys476) to "BillyBobsFleaCircus"

> Change the password from easily guessed (JaneandBill123) to something like "x$8_3arY&"

People know hacks into certain makers of routers (my first suggestion).

People guess network names from names on mailboxes, so use randon and unguessable network names (my first suggestion)

People think their simple passwords cannot be guessed from names of their dogs or children (my second suggestion)

Dec 29, 2012 1:47 PM in response to steve359

Thanks Steve... Yes now that I think about it.. When Cox came and installed my new router, the guy left the login as "admin" - with the default "password".. not sure if that has any meaning... Also when he created my PassPhrase he just said.."Easy to use just your 10 digit phone number"... 🙂 hmmmmmmmm

So I have went ahead and changed everything... even not broadcasting my Network name.. So you would have to chose "other" when connecting to my network and know the exact name... PassPhrase I also changed...

Thanks for help

Dec 29, 2012 1:51 PM in response to alekzandr

Amazing how many network installers do *not* tell people the safe methods.

Change your admin password to something as complex (although you sound like you did already).

You should change those passwords once a month, and write them in a log you store in a known place like a closet shelf in your room.

Some routers allow "guest passes" that you can tuen on or off at will so your primary password is not told to the world and still your kids' friends can access it. Call Cox for details about that.

Ipad Hacked - I watched somebody go into my contacts and browse around

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.