Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 11 can't add ringtone to "Tones"

Am a user of:

OSX = 10.6.8

iTunes = 11.1

Have tried using iTunes 11 "Get Info" by selecting song in Library then "Option" to create a 40 second clip. Then convert to "mp3" ("AAC" not available), then renamed it to "xxx.m4r". It became a "Ringtone". Then Deleted the selction but kept the file. Then (attempted) tp drag the Ringtone file to iTunes Library BUT it does not show up...anywhere in iTunes. Not in "Music" nor in "Tones". Tried using Finder to see if there were any file duplicates None. Bought the song from the iTunes Store. Cannot figure it out. Should I upgrade from Snow Leopard or what? TIA for any help in this seemingly easy thing to do.

iTunes 11-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 2:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 3:12 PM

Hi there, I have the same problem but I have a PC with the latest iTunes. I created a Ringtone (xxx.m4r under 40 sec.) I imported it in iTunes, Synced it with iPhone ( iPhone 4S - ios 6.0.1) In the Get info, the type is : Ringtone.

It is now in the iPhone but not in the ringtone section. Simply in my iTunes folder as if it was a song. When I go back to my computer and I look into iPhone, it appears into Music and not Tones.

I did a lot of research and every other post on the forum have not helped me. I'm wondering if it's iTunes 11.

Thank you.

Eugenie.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2012 3:12 PM in response to OrionScope

Hi there, I have the same problem but I have a PC with the latest iTunes. I created a Ringtone (xxx.m4r under 40 sec.) I imported it in iTunes, Synced it with iPhone ( iPhone 4S - ios 6.0.1) In the Get info, the type is : Ringtone.

It is now in the iPhone but not in the ringtone section. Simply in my iTunes folder as if it was a song. When I go back to my computer and I look into iPhone, it appears into Music and not Tones.

I did a lot of research and every other post on the forum have not helped me. I'm wondering if it's iTunes 11.

Thank you.

Eugenie.

Dec 29, 2012 3:25 PM in response to OrionScope

OrionScope, I just fixed my problem. Once you created your tone, (xxxx.m4r under 40 sec.) Just take the file and move it from the the iTunes folder (i just put it on my desktop) delete the track in your library and then just drag it back into iTunes. Worked for me after SEVERAL HOURS of research.

Hope this help!

Eugenie

Mar 10, 2013 2:24 PM in response to OrionScope

Can someone help me?

I purchased a bunch of ringtones from iRing Pro and moved them to iTunes OK; was able to play them.

After updating iTunes however, the tones seem to be there, but when I try to play them, I get the "original file could not be located" message. Can't find the files anywhere.

Tried Huge's fix, but I can't move the files to the desktop. This is really annoying.

PC, Win 7.

Apr 15, 2013 4:23 AM in response to Huge88

I still can't get the .m4r file to appear under the tone section of itunes. Huge88 I can't seem to do what you have done i.e "Just take the file and move it from the the iTunes folder (i just put it on my desktop) delete the track in your library and then just drag it back into iTunes"! I can't even get the .m4r folder into itunes in the first place, so how can i move it from the itunes folder to the desktop.

At the end of the day when i drag the .m4r file into itunes it does not show up in the tune section. When I drag the .mp3 version of the file into itunes it turns up under the songs section i.e not a ringtone.

Please please help. I am beyond desperate.

Why is apple making things so hard????

Aug 7, 2013 11:16 AM in response to Anal Annie

I totally agree. I have been an avid apple user for 10+ years. Now it seems as though they are trying to be like Microsoft. What once was so easy seems to no longer be. I have spent hours just trying to drag a ringtone into itunes 11.0.2 to no avail. It is getting so complicated. I really believe that since Jobs passing, Apple is no longer Apple. They sure don't seem to have the same vision. I am seeing this on many levels.

Aug 11, 2013 6:26 PM in response to OrionScope

here's how you do it for itunes 11 download iringer (free programe ivallways use they do have a mac version)off the net create desired tone don't drag it to tones on your phone (it wont work) drag it to tones in your library (on itunes) when you've done that click and hold that song when you move it a side bar will appear with your device name just drag it on to the name and drop it then should port it over to you phone hope this helps

Jan 24, 2015 2:04 AM in response to LoftusRoad

This applies to iPhone 5 and 6 with iTunes 12 (and probably iTunes 11):

1. Do a search for all .m4r files on your computer.

2. Copy the ones you want into Libraries/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Tones

3. If the directory does not exist (as it didn't on my computer), create the directory, then copy the desired .m4r files (tones) into that directory.

4. Open iTunes and plug your iPhone into the USB port on your computer.

5. Click on the iPhone icon located on the left side of the horizontal menu bar near the top of iTunes.

6. Click on Tones in the left panel.

7. Check the box (white square) marked Sync Tones.

8. Click the radio button (little circle) marked All tones.

9. Click the Sync button at the lower right corner of iTunes.

I tried most of the suggestions I found posted in various locations. None worked for me. Making sure that the tones are in the location specified above immediately synced all 357 of my tones in one swell foop. All the tones appeared nicely alphabetized in the Sounds>Ringtones section of the iPhone.

itunes 11 can't add ringtone to "Tones"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.