Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing lots of instrument files after migrating from Macbook Air to Mac Mini

Hello all, I know this issue is very old on these forums but nevertheless I can't find the solution, even after having read whatever I found around here. I had a perfectly working setup with several GB jam packs including the ones that come with MainStage 2. Recently I moved my content from Macbook Air onto Mac Mini (late 2012) and that's where problems began… I get errors about missing instrument files (and I do find see respective folders in /library/ "instrument library"). I tried: 1. Removing both Garage Band and Mainstage2 and then reinstalling them. 2. Reinstalling individual jam packs from DVDs or backups. 3. I even "touched" my old folders to make sure that the date was correct on them (not sure if this does anything useful though). I still have the content missing, EG "Liverpool Bass", "Glockenspiel", "Steinway Piano", violins and related. When I look under "/library/Application Support/Garage Band/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sample Files", I do not see the folders with samples even though the instrument definitions are in "/library/Application Support/Garage Band/Instrument Library/Sampler/Sample Instruments". Does anyone have any ideas as to what else I can try? Thanks, Vic

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 3:41 PM

7 replies

Dec 30, 2012 1:08 AM in response to vick0

How did you migrate, Vic?

Did you use Migration Assistant? Then probably your Instruments Library has not been copied properly, see Christoph Drösser's post:

Migration doesn't copy Instrument Library

To fix this, replace the complete Instruments Library by the corresponding folder from your old mac

/Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

Regards

Léonie

Dec 30, 2012 3:23 AM in response to vick0

I'm seeing the same thing after purchasing MainStage and downloading the additional instruments, which were the old Jam Packs. I'm missing the Steinway grand and a good bit of the stringed instrument section. The only thing I can think of is that I had the Symphony Orchestra Jam Pack installed before, and there must be some conflicts somewhere.

Dec 30, 2012 11:59 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie, Thanks so much for trying to help (also for all other help you offer to so many people out here). I don't have the old backup any more and I don't remember if the content was transferred or not (I think it wasn't, as you suggested). However, I since reinstalled the content several times using Mainstage's "Download Additional Content" menu. This is where I am still having problems. Thanks, Vic

Dec 30, 2012 12:02 PM in response to Maccaguy

I am not sure if Apple's own files are corrupted or what but it seems like it is missing pianos and string sections consistently. I am also missing Liverpool Bass even though I reinstalled Rhythm Section pack several times now. There must be some configuration file somewhere on the disk that makes GB and MainStage believe all the content is installed properly. Worse, something may have happened to the content on Apple servers. I am really out of options here. Thanks, Vic

Dec 30, 2012 12:37 PM in response to vick0

There must be some configuration file somewhere on the disk that makes GB and MainStage believe all the content is installed properly.

You could try to remove the whole Instrument Library and Loop Library, and then reinstall GarageBand and Mainstage.

At some time back a few instrument samplers have been renamed. And if you have a mixture of the old instruments and new samplers installed, this may be inconsistent.

Remove the folders (but don't delete them):

• /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/
  • /Library/Audio/Apple Loops Index/
  • /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Apple Loops/
  • /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Apple Loops Index/
  • /Library/Application Support/GarageBand/Instrument Library/

Then reinstall GarageBand and Mainstage 2.

If you want to reinstall from the AppStore, you have to deleteboth applications from the Applications folder.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 6, 2013 11:39 AM in response to vick0

After all the hassle, I ended up completely uninstalling both Garage Band and MainStage, removing all the folders and files associated with these two programs. After reinstalling the apps from the App Store and redownloading the 20GB of the content, everything is working fine now. I sure hope Apple will figure out a way to solve this once and for all, now that they want us to go the cloud way.

Missing lots of instrument files after migrating from Macbook Air to Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.