Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My user account on my iMac G5 isn't working correctly?

Hello all,

I recently downloaded a program called "Secrets" on my iMac G5. This program tweaks some simple settings such as changing the dock from the glassy 3D to the 2D black dock. After tweaking a few things to what I thought would help my computer faster, I restarted it. Everything was working well, but when I logged in I noticed some issues. The top right part of the transparent bar wasn't loading. The bar itself was, but the time, ethernet icon, and bluetooth icon were not. I ignored this, as usualy it took a decent amount of time for it to load. However, then I tried launching Safari. The icon bounced as usual, but nothing happened at all. I tried loading system preferences, it clicked, but nothing happened at all. The same goes with everything else. Even attempting to click on shut down wouldn't work, it would just click and nothing would happen. I attempted to boot into safe mode, same results. I fimally found something that seemed to work, I logged into the guest account and from there, everything was working perfectly, which brought me down to thinking this is a user account related problem, probably because I installed that program "Secrets" on my main account only. Is there anything I could possibly try to get my main account working again? If not, is there some way I could transfer my programs from my old account to a new created one? (I tried, but I was told I didn't have sufficent permission to access my main account's "Applications" folder.)

Thanks again for reading my problem, and I hope I could get some help.

~Nick

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8), No iSight camera, PowerPC processor

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 10:35 PM

Hi Nick,

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2012 10:35 PM in response to T0XiiC IVIAGICZ

Hi Nick,

One way to test is to Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, Test for problem in Safe Mode...

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive

Reboot, test again.

If it only does it in Regular Boot, then it could be some hardware problem like Video card, (Quartz is turned off in Safe Mode), or Airport, or some USB or Firewire device, or 3rd party add-on, Check System Preferences>Accounts>Login Items window to see if it or something relevant is listed.

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

My user account on my iMac G5 isn't working correctly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.