Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete trash

Whenever I have some software upgrade, I cannot empty my trash can until I reboot my iMac. My Mac says the program that was updated is using a file.

After I reboot, I can empty my trash.

What causes this?

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 4:59 PM

You're trying to delete a mounted disk image file. Unmount the disk image first, then empty the Trash.

9 replies

Dec 29, 2012 7:16 PM in response to Linc Davis

Nothing was in my trash, so I went to Bodega and it updated Librarian Pro. I did some other stuff then tried to empty the trash folder. It couldn't delete a file named "Librarian Pro (2.2.4).app". I then started Librarian Pro and checked to see that it was 2.2.5. Hmmm, the older version of Librarian Pro is what is in the trash.

I believe I've had the same problem when I updated Opera from telling Opera to upgrade.

Dec 29, 2012 7:29 PM in response to Howard Brazee

The next time you have the problem, proceed as follows.

Launch the Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below to select it:

lsof | grep Trash

Drag or copy and paste the selected line — do not type it — into the Terminal window.

Post any lines of output that appear below what you entered — the text, please, not a screenshot.

Jan 2, 2013 8:04 AM in response to Linc Davis

I just had a variation of this problem. I installed the applicatino DeDRM 5.5.5.app, and then deleted the program DeDRM 5.3.1. Renaming the application was a pain, as I had to change my configuration to allow me to trust the application, run it, then change my configuration back.

But it may have helped solve the problem in this thread.

I tried to empty the trash, but it won't empty DeDRM 5.3.1.app.

I pulled out your instructions, started Terminal, then searched for DeDRM in the spotlight (which is how I run most applications that I remember the name of (including Terminal)). It didn't show DeDRM 5.3.1 (which makes sense). Here's my output:

lsof | grep Trash

UserEvent 137 HBrazee 49r DIR 1,3 102 8023996 /Users/HBrazee/.Trash

Finder 157 HBrazee 10r DIR 1,3 102 8023996 /Users/HBrazee/.Trash

Mail 24561 HBrazee txt REG 1,3 1610 7074261 /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/Resources/TrashMailboxMediumTemplate.png

Mail 24561 HBrazee txt REG 1,3 4671 7074262 /Applications/Mail.app/Contents/Resources/TrashMailboxMediumTemplate@2x.png

~ >

Jan 13, 2013 9:59 AM in response to Howard Brazee

I just tried to empty my trash. It shows as full after telling me it couldn't delete Librarian Pro. Odd, finder shows it was modified today at 10:55 AM (when I emptied the trash) and has zero bytes. The application was updated in the last couple of days, and I doubt if I emptied my trash since then.

I just emptied the trash again and it worked.

Can't delete trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.