Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini takes a couple of minutes to boot up?

Hi, I just bought a (late 2012) Mac Mini- 2.3ghz i7 with 256 GB SSD. From the very first time I plugged it in and booted I get a series of black screens blinking on my monitor, sometimes for up to 5 minutes, then it boots up as normal and goes to the login (password) screen.

Obviously with an SSD installed my boot time should be super quick. Im running it into a BENQ G2400W Display at 1920x1200 resolution thru HDMI.

The strange thing is it only really does it when the mini has been off for a while. If I just do a restart when its warmed up it starts up no problems and I get no black screens at all or any strange behavior once booted.

I have done all updates including to 1.7. Has anyone else experienced this or know whats happening? Do I have a faulty machine or could it be issues connecting to my monitor (which seems strange if so as it works no problems once booted)?

Any help appreciated.

Mac mini, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 4:51 PM

4 replies

Dec 30, 2012 3:17 PM in response to Kryonso

Seeing as though I got no responses on this I did the troubleshooting myself. Seems like it must not like my BENQ monitor as I plugged it in (cold) into my Samsung LED tv and it booted straight away.

Stilll seems very weird that it only does it on my BENQ monitor when its cold though.

If I get a MDP to HDMI cable do you think it would maybe solve the issue? Or do you think I need to get a new monitor? I know there are no Mac drivers for that monitor online.

Would be extremely frustrating if I have to get a new monitor as I bought the mini with the express purpose of saving money too use with my existing monitor grrrr!!!

Dec 31, 2012 9:24 AM in response to Kryonso

I also purchased the new Mac Mini (i5) and have been experiencing delays. On start up there is a white screen that has a blinking picture of the world before showing log in page. I started up yesterday after being away for 5 days, and the blinking world continued and would not stop. Restarted and still no log in. Disconnedted All USB connections except for keyboard. No luck. Disconnected network cable. Finally logged in after long delay.

Thought of disconnecting all USB's because I could not get sound from a new Logitech webcam/mic, and a Tech from Logitech suggested I change the USB ports. I did and then got sound. And I thought all USB ports were created equal! :-)

There is sometimes a delay in typed words showing on the screen - searching for a name in Address Book, for instance - takes 5 seconds to show up in the search window.

took about 3 minutes for a 2 page document to print on HP printer.

I started to scan a document on HP printer and software does not work with 10.8. No software updates for it on apple site. Usually get them through Software Update. HP site says there is support for 10.7.

Am using HP 2511x monitor. HDMI to VGA (original short cable that came with Mini was defective - took a long time to find it was the problem using alternate ways of connecting). Mac Express store could not quite believe it was defective until they checked it, and then replaced it!

The net is a lot of wasted time in setting it up and it's running slow!

Would appreciate any suggestions!

Dec 31, 2012 2:59 PM in response to LeRoy Malouf

Have talked with a local person who supports us in dealing with our macs and have found some help:

The turning planet is because the computer is searching for an external start up disc.

Went to System Preferences and click on mini mac hard drive and Shazam no more planet.

He then directed me to go to

Applications

Font Book

Click All

Click on File and Validate All

one Font showed up as red - serious issues -

Selected it and deleted.

No more delay for typing to show up on screen.

Checked HP site again and it says my printer is supported on 10.8 and to go to Apple software updates.

Keeps saying no updates, yet printing is very slow and can't scan.

And a correction Monitor connection is HDMI to DVI.

Mac Mini takes a couple of minutes to boot up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.