Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AFP services Locking up G4 Xserve

Xserve running 10.4.4

We are having a problem with the AFP services shutting down. The Blue lights on the front of the Xserve peg and the server needs to be restarted.
First off, the Xserve has two 800 GB Mercury external drives connected to it. Just recently we has begun to move users home folders to one of these drives (the users folders are residing on the external drive). My question is will this configuration cause any problems with the Xserve? My guess is that at the least access time to files would be deminished, not to mention the bottleneck created when saving. Could this be causing AFP Services to lock up the Xserve?
Secondly, we are suspecting that a NIC card is intermittent causing the Xserve to peg. Does the Xserve require that both NIC cards be functioning for clients to log in? We were thinking that when the one shuts down it pegs the other thus locking up the server. Is this possible? One NIC card has a internal ip address and the other has an external ip address.
A couple of odd things, last year when the server was full AFP would shut down. The users would get a message saying the AFP services shut down and disconnected the user. With this current problem the user get no message. Another odd thing is that after restarting AFP services do not start automatically. I have to manually start AFP services through Server Admin. I never had to do this before. Any Ideas?
I know that there is a 10.4.6 update, does anyone think this will solve my problem

Power Book G4, Mac OS X (10.4.3), iWork must have Database and Spreadsheet componet to be Appleworks replacement!

Posted on May 1, 2006 9:53 AM

There are no replies.

AFP services Locking up G4 Xserve

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.