Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is it impossible to export a file with the same fidelity as the version iMovie itself plays for me?

My movie is a photo slideshow using Ken Burns effect throughout, using iMovie 09. It looks beautiful when I play the project directly from within iMovie, even when enlarged to fullscreen playback. Is there really no way to set the quality settings high enough to reproduce this level of quality in an exported file? It seems so, and I don't understand why. "Export to iDVD" is a joke--even with the best quality settings there is an incredible amount of moire patterns and jagged edges. Exporting to Quicktime is better, but still the comparison with the version played from within the application is very poor. I wouldn't care if my computer had to crunch all night to render a file (and my movie is only 12 minutes long), I would just like to be able to view it on other computers or DVD players at the original quality.

It seems to me that playing it from within iMovie should be *worse*, because iMovie is not only displaying the movie, it has to render it from scratch in realtime by zooming and panning on the photos. So an exported version (i.e. precalculated, prerendered) of the same quality would certainly be playable on a normal device like a DVD player.

Can anyone explain? Or (but I doubt it) could anyone tell me what I've missed, and explain how to export a pixel-for-pixel, frame-for-frame replication of what iMovie apparently effortlessly displays??

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 17", early 2009

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 6:39 PM

1 reply

Dec 30, 2012 5:11 AM in response to montagular

montagular wrote:

… I would just like to be able to view it on other computers or DVD players at the original quality.…

a DVD is 720x480 and highly compressed.

… how to export a pixel-for-pixel, frame-for-frame replication of what iMovie apparently effortlessly displays??

video is compressed - otherwise, files are getting gargantual (a top-notch intermediate in FCPX is 40-120GBs per hour, a disk, for comparrison is 4GB/h).

two options:

• in the Export with Quicktime Option, you'll find a bit-rate setting - depending on your other settings (resolution, framerate, codec), 5-10.000 kbps should result in a superb result.

• instead of a playback-optimized codec as usual h.264, you can give AppleAnimation a try - much larger files, but e.g. less banding. only for use on Macs.

to transfer lossless to iDVD, choose AppleIntermediate, which is iMovies internal codec.

.... but a disk with same quality as a computer HDef? Not possible.

Why is it impossible to export a file with the same fidelity as the version iMovie itself plays for me?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.