Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make dvd photo slideshow.

I am currently scanning thousands of family photos for my grandmother who would like me to make a photo slideshow with these pictures so she can watch them on her tv. I am currently using Lightroom to manage and edit the photos as I have had many problems with iPhoto becuase of the huge amount of photos I have (15000).

My question is, now that iDVD is no longer available and I am not interested in using iPhoto, how can I make a simple photo slideshow DVD. I do not have a DVD burning software either (that I know of)

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

😕

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 7:25 PM

2 replies

Dec 29, 2012 11:46 PM in response to tara.33

Hi

iDVD - had a SlideShow function - but this was limited to 99 photos per show and max 99 show's per DVD and this goes for DL-DVDs too I guess.

I have two ways to do this

• Roxio Toast™ bundle - as it includes FotoMagico™

• or - I create my SlideShows in FinalCut Pro (6.0.6) - never used the FC Pro-X

And when using FinalCut Pro - I get 100% freedom to do the Show as I want it 100% control over Picture quality and same on the Sound.

Then I use

• iDVD to do the final burn - As I get a best possibly result on the DVD (as it is as standard only interlaced SD-Video)

• if I need more - I burn a BD-DVD via Roxio Toast™ BUT there are limitations here too

- on DVD - max 20 - 30 minutes

- Can Only Be played on a BD-Player that are AVCHD compatible - PlayStation 3 are so - Cheap BD-Samsung-players are NOT

- BUT by saving as H.264 out to an USB-memory stick - and using the PS3 - I can play much longer SlideShows

• Easiest way is (when in a hurry) - I put all my photos into one folder - then use GraphicConverter™ (there is a try-version on Internet) and set this to play this folder as a SlideShow - and connect my MacBook to a Projector.

BTW - iMovie'08 to 11 - ARE NOT TOOLS of CHOICE - as the picture quality is severely degraded - they discard every second line in the picture going from Event's/Photo folder to Project's - and this can not be mended later in the process.

Yours Bengt W

Dec 30, 2012 10:11 AM in response to tara.33

Do you have iDVD on another Mac? If so you can use the disks that came with that Mac to install just iDVD on your MBP.

Have you considered creating a separate iPhoto library just for this project. Since you're scanning in the photos you can assemble them in a folder or wherever and import them into the slideshow library. Create your slideshow in iPhoto and export it at the large size size as a QT movie file.

User uploaded file

Then add the slideshow to whatever video DVD authoring applicaiton you decide to use. I use Media Pro 1 as my DAM (digital asset management) applicaiton but use iPhoto for special projects like books, calendars, etc.

Just an observation on the library size you mentioned: 15 K photos is not considered a large library any more. The earlier versions, iPhoto 8 or earlier were good for 250,000 photos and the latest iPhoto 9 shares the same library structure as Aperture and is good for 1 M photos. Of course a lot depends on the size of the Mac (yes, size does matter) in hard drive space, memory size and processor speed.

Personally, iDVD has no equal as far as video DVD authoring for the Mac and is, IMO, well worth the cost of an iLife 11 disc from a 3rd party retailer like Amazon.com: iLife 11. And you'll also get iWeb 3 which has also been discontinued by Apple.

User uploaded fileOT

Make dvd photo slideshow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.